flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tulku

3 or 4-player card game | 25 min | 10+

Standard Deck Game Entry

Designed by Rey Alicea

Object - To be the player with the most cards at the end of the game.

The Deck – 36 cards ranked from highest to lowest 14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6 each in four-color suits red, green, blue and orange.

Before the start of the game each player selects a different trump color suit.

The Deal – The dealer shuffles the deck and deals out all the cards one at a time face down to all the players. Next players look at their hand for any sixes not in their trump suit, these are to be given to the player who has that suit as trumps.

The game is played in three rounds; keep scores for each of the rounds.

The Play – Playing clockwise, the player to the dealers left starts by playing any card from their hand face up to the center of the playing area forming the start of a play stack.

Henceforth on your turn take one of the following actions:

1. Beat the top card of the play stack by playing a higher-ranking card of the same color suit or

2. Play one of your trump cards on top of the play stack. Having done this, you must play another card on top of this one; this second card may be of any rank or color suit the player so chooses or

3. Play a card that is not one of your trump cards to the playing area forming a second play stack adjacent to the previous one, the card must be of a different color suit from the one previously lead. Having done this, you must play another card on top of this one; this second card must be a higher-ranking card of the same color suit. Now all the cards of the previous play stack go to the previous player and kept face down.

When a player is unable to take her turn, she must pass and the stack of cards go to the previous player. If all players pass in succession the game ends.

Scoring – At the end of each round add up all the cards you’ve taken, these are worth 1 point each and then subtract 1 point each for every card left in your hand. Tally each players final scores from all three rounds, the player with the highest score is the winner.

PnP Cards

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwW14y3UpobDcEZnMHR5VnliclE...

This game is an entry to the 2014 Card Game Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested your game with my family today. Here are the questions we ran into.

1. If a player has only one card in their hand and it isn't the correct suit, they will have to pass because they can't play 2 cards to legitimately form a new stack. Is this correct?

2. If player 2 passes then player 1 gets the cards. It is now player 3's turn. I assume player 3 needs only to play a single card to start her turn. Is this correct?

3. If all players but one are out of cards, that player will then be able to claim all the cards in her hand. Is this correct?

So my recommendation is simply to adjust the rules so that these questions have obvious answers. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boit wrote:
I playtested your game with my family today. Here are the questions we ran into.

1. If a player has only one card in their hand and it isn't the correct suit, they will have to pass because they can't play 2 cards to legitimately form a new stack. Is this correct?

2. If player 2 passes then player 1 gets the cards. It is now player 3's turn. I assume player 3 needs only to play a single card to start her turn. Is this correct?

3. If all players but one are out of cards, that player will then be able to claim all the cards in her hand. Is this correct?

So my recommendation is simply to adjust the rules so that these questions have obvious answers. Good work!

Thank you sir, will edit the rules for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave this three rounds of three-player, using a playing card deck stripped down to numbers 1 to 8 of four suits.

It didn't look like the numbers mattered for scoring, so is there any reason to number 6 to 14?

I found it has a Puerto-Rico-like problem in that bad play by one player awards the game to the preceding player. In this case, I was the weak player, and my spouse scored nearly every stack.

It may be our play style or that we haven't had enough plays to develop better strategy, but our stacks got very high and it seemed no one had an incentive to start a new stack.

I thought about ending stacks just to keep them from getting big, but then I would not have any opportunity to score points and the cards in the stack I'd be ending would go to my wife anyway.

In any case, she loved the game.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I found it has a Puerto-Rico-like problem in that bad play by one player awards the game to the preceding player. In this case, I was the weak player, and my spouse scored nearly every stack.

Thanks again for the kind words! I'll look into fixing the stack problem. There should be some incentive to create one or more during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.