Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see one, so I thought I'd take a stab at one. This is just me collecting rules clarifications, and as such, is unofficial (and may include designer "suggestions" or player provided clarifications). If in doubt, check the source threads.

Don't forget:
• Each person starts with six (6) trucks in their own pool, in addition to the six that are placed in the Allied truck pool.
• You add two trucks, plus two trucks per player, to the pool as soon as any player hits supply level 3. A suggestion is to add those trucks to the Supply Level 3 space at setup.
• A Place Trucks action allows you to place a number of trucks, two or more - depending on your current supply level.
• If the off board supply pool is out of a type of supply, it's out. You don't get that type with a basic supply action, just whatever still has markers remaining.
• If your pursuit deck is out, reshuffle it.

Q: Can Corps move over/into a space with another Corps? Do grounded Corps (those flipped face down from lack of food) steal food from other Corps that move through? Can they exchange supplies?

A: Corps cannot enter space that contain other corps. Thus, they may not steal food or directly exchange supplies in this way. This is stated in the rules summary, A4: Corps Movement: "Corps cannot enter or move through area occupied by any other corps or by markers
of other players (even in case of double-colored areas)."

Q: If I pull a recon card during a corps move, can I use it right away?

A: No - using a recon card is it's own separate bonus action (all recon cards have hand symbols). You must complete your current action - corps movement - before performing a recon action. Source

Q: If I encircle a fortified town, must I pay an ammunition supply to take it?

A: No. If the town is empty, you take it (and earn a medal if so indicated). If the town has an Axis Flag, it is not taken by encirclement. Source

Q: Can Patton make a corps move twice in one turn?

A: No. His bonus allows a free corps movement, but each individual corps can only be activated for movement once in each turn. Source

Q: Does the game end when you place the last Axis marker, even if you then subsequently return a marker to the pool (by capturing an Axis marker space)?

A: Yes. Markers are returned to the pool, but the game end is triggered by placing the last marker, and does not reset if another Axis marker is removed. Source

Q: Can a corps both pick up and drop supplies in the same move? Does this mean I can pay a fuel, then pick one up (in the same area) before moving?

A: Yes, the transfer of Supplies is free and immediate. Source and the rules.

Q: When capturing by encirclement, can you capture areas of an opponents color? Since "the currently moving player gains control of the encircled ares"?

A: Only previously uncaptured multicolored ares that contain your color. If your move also causes areas solely of another players color to become encircled, they place their own markers in those areas. Source

Q: Which side of my control markers do I use - the tan, or the colored?

A: Whichever you like, there is no in-game difference. Source

Q: During a take trucks action, can I take less than the maximum number of trucks that I am allowed to take?

A: Nope, you must take either your maximum, or all that are available if it's less than your maximum. (Currently a designer suggestion, not official) Source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: What are all those medals that are used for the medal counters?

A:

Thanks to Tim P. (oi_you_nutter) for the original scans, and to various folks on this forum and the Wargaming forum for helping ID them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
"Victora" should be "Victoria" Cross n bottom row, 4th from left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well spotted - I'm a terrible speller, and Photoshop doesn't do much spell checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
My late father-in-law won that first one, the Polish Cross of Valour (my avatar is him), with an individual act of bravery on the field of battle in 1944. I inherited his medals and wartime papers.

I've also had the rare honour of actually holding a real Victoria Cross in my hands. It was in the possession of his namesake, a former co-worker of mine, David Hornell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Parsons
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Mike, thanks for the FAQ.

My questions are:

1. Once a player uses the German defeated divisions for medal counts, can they be used again; turned over; or put back in their decks?

2. Can a German marker be placed in a black area?

Thanks, and also for the medal type listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't claim to be the be all/end all for the rules - I've only played three times so far myself. But, my understanding is:

Q: Once a player uses the German defeated divisions for medal counts, can they be used again; turned over; or put back in their decks?

A: No, defeated divisions are out of the game.

Q: Can a German marker be placed in a black area?

A: Yes, but only if that black area doesn't already contain a flag symbol - see Arnhem. I think that's the only black area without one, and the flags can't start there - they must "travel" to that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Parsons
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Michael, thanks for the answers and response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to double check, when you capture a town with the supply symbols on it, that space becomes a limited supply base, right? Where you can put one of each supply in later turns when you take a supply action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right (with the exception of Ostende - the one with the marker - which can only be used once as a limited supply base).

They still have a "stacking limit" of six supplies, like most other spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forty One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis Reaction.

It's late in the game and the allies are approaching the Rhine. The allies have their corps well deployed so no Axis Counter attacks are possible (14b). There is no eligible area to place an Axis marker on the board as they all, already have an Axis marker on them. In 14a it says if it can't be placed the marker is removed from the game and the game continues. What happens if the marker is the last one in the pool? Does the game end or does it continue. If it continues, then if the allies are carefull with their advance ( no counter attacks possible) then any markers removed by them , go in the pool , and at the end of each player turn one will go out of the game. The game will therefore end when one player slogs his way across the Rhine. ( Alternatively a player might deliberately expose an area to a counter attack to trigger game end because they think they will win on medals. But since a player "may" counterattack the other players will not do it?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. Well, yes, technically, it does say "If there is no area eligible to receive the Axis marker, it is removed from play (but
the game continues)."

It also says the game ends "At the very end of the round in which the last Axis marker was placed."

If one was going to be quite so literal as to assume that as a marker can't be place, but is removed, one would think it would also mean that the last marker was placed last round. So, I'd think the confusion would technically be on if you should undo the last round (and what does that mean, now that the Axis marker is back?), stop immediately, or play to the end of the current round.

laugh

However, while I am not the designer, I feel pretty confidant that the following is the intent of the rules. It seems clear to me that the Axis markers are a timer system. I don't think the intent is to have the timer totally suspended by a loophole.

I also feel confidant that the "but the game continues" is emphasis solely to clarify that not being able to place a marker doesn't suddenly end the game, assuming the timer still has "tick" - that is, Axis markers - left.

So, I personally would play that the game end rule is "At the very end of the round in which the last Axis marker was placed or removed from the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

So, I personally would play that the game end rule is "At the very end of the round in which the last Axis marker was placed or removed from the game."

That is correct way of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Q: If I pull a recon card during a corps move, can I use it right away?

A: No - using a recon card is it's own separate bonus action (all recon cards have hand symbols). You must complete your current action - corps movement - before performing a recon action. Source

The rules seem to indicate clearly that a card which a player takes into his hand (either Resistance or Recon) can only be used on the player's next turn or later, so you can't use it on the turn you draw it, no matter what. This is found in the explanation of card symbols: "....player may keep this card in his player zone, for use in a later turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polish rulebook clearly states that cards with hand can be used during current or any future player's turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke34 wrote:
[q="Chanfan"]The rules seem to indicate clearly that a card which a player takes into his hand (either Resistance or Recon) can only be used on the player's next turn or later, so you can't use it on the turn you draw it, no matter what. This is found in the explanation of card symbols: "....player may keep this card in his player zone, for use in a later turn."

I believe you are reading to much into it. I think the word "may" gives the player the option to play it on this turn or an upcoming turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also add to the list:

During the Supply Check Interphase, Remove any Air Support Markers and return to their owner.

This isn't mentioned in the SCI section, but is mentioned in the Air Support section. If any markers are on the top of any deck when the SCI kicks in, each marker is returned to the owner. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I assume the ramification is that the player who conducted the Air Support action will no longer be able to get the bonus Ammo when the top card is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Czebreszuk
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
Good I found this thread.

My question is :
Rulebook states that for area to be available for counter attack, it must be adjacent to an unoccupied area OR an area with an Axis marker or flag. Does this means that counterattacks can be made from area with flag (like Le Havre) even when it's already occupied by allies ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would presume that an Allied marker, in essence, covers up such a marker - behave as if it had been a physical marker that's been removed and replaced with the allied control marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Regarding corps movement - I can't find a restriction on moving through tucks. Did I miss it, or can a Corps move through a route with a truck on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Knewt wrote:
Regarding corps movement - I can't find a restriction on moving through tucks. Did I miss it, or can a Corps move through a route with a truck on it?

if it doesn't say you can't then you can i am assuming but don't actually know for sure. a good question which might get more attention if you start a separate rules forum on it under the heading of something like "moving corps thru trucks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Q: During a take trucks action, can I take less than the maximum number of trucks that I am allowed to take?

A: Nope, you must take either your maximum, or all that are available if it's less than your maximum. Source

So just confirming this then is an official change from the printed rulebook, correct?

In the section 7 example it clearly shows taking less than the available trucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the source thread, it looks like "one of the designers thinks you should play that way, but it's not quite official yet".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Looking at the source thread, it looks like "one of the designers thinks you should play that way, but it's not quite official yet".

Yeah... seems to me the FAQ should be clear this is a suggestion, not a ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Agree,

However considering that it is the designer's intent that all trucks be taken (which wasn't conveyed properly in the published rules), I would look for it to be a revised rule in the next update of the rules (or as an errata item instead of a FAQ item).

But when we'll see either a FAQ, an Errata, or a new edition of the rules is anybody's guess. Until then, the designer invites players to play which ever way suits them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.