Grimoire» Forums » General

Subject: Why not 2 players ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Jo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for opinions on why 2 players is not recommended according to the poll results. Thanks very much !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it as 2p and thought it was ok. There are a number of cards which work better with more players.
EG, gain a vp when you and another player chooses the same spell / negate all other forbidden spells. There are more chances of that happening in games w higher number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I think it is more interesting with more players, because of the increased chances of crazy stuff happening in the book phase.

But 2 players is okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players not nearly as many cards are drawn as with 5 players, so it's more difficult to create synergy between cards. I will try and see if I can optimise the deck for 2-players.

I don't think the treasure deck is an issue, but the adventure deck definitely needs adjusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
With 2 players not nearly as many cards are drawn as with 5 players, so it's more difficult to create synergy between cards. I will try and see if I can optimise the deck for 2-players.

I don't think the treasure deck is an issue, but the adventure deck definitely needs adjusting.

Did you ever try this adjustment? I'm sure folks would love to hear the results. I would, at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm coming late to the discussion, but a major mechanic in the game is how turn order is dependent on whether people choose the same spell. That's much less likely to happen with two players, and when it does, they don't really go "last" per se, but simply reverse the order they had last turn. So the whole thing about predicting what the other player is going to do is not as exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.