Dean the mean
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello guys im new to the forum and couldn't find a similar post to this so I thought i'd share it.

This game variant is made for a group that wants a action filled game that's guaranteed to go 10 rounds (this game mode fails if new players are either tyrell or martell) if playing with new playrs I suggest using the normal 4 player until they are up to speed with the game. If tyrell or martell move to slow they hand an easy win to lannister or baratheon. (THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS VARIANT SO MUCH, YOU TURTLE OR STALL AND YOU LOSE)

Basically you drop stark and greyjoy from the game. I have considered swapping lannister out for greyjoy although I have not had a chance to test it.) Note that with greyjoy gone Lannister has easy access to 6 castles without contention (until baratheon heads north via the narrow sea where he can assault moat calin)

the areas dropped are, Bay of ice, the shivering sea, winterfell, castle black karhold, the stony shore, white harbor, widows watch and Pyke is engulfed by ironmans bay. (if you were to swap the lannisters out for greyjoy id suggest removing a barrel from lannisport + removing flints fingers from the game (or just its castle)

and I prefer this variant to be used without the 4 player variant to the kings court. (the more march orders available the better)

Basically tyrell and martell team up they head north once they are confident they have slowed the other two it becomes every player for themselves

we came up with this because we found that baratheons advantage was to great in the normal 4 player. (can without being contested move to martells castle where lannister has to fend of greyjoy while doing so)

please hit me with feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like an easy win for Lannister. He has 8 mustering points in his sphere of influence, compared to Baratheon's 7, and Tyrell and Martell's 5 each respectively. Combine this with the fact that he could have unraidable support in Riverrun,the Golden Sound, and Ironman's Bay, that is a veritable bulwark for Lannister behind which he could make full use of those mustering points (not to mention the four crowns and five barrels in his area).

Baratheon has to break through two neutral forces (5 in King's Landing and 6 in the Eyrie), which slows down his expansion, whereas Lannister could just waltz into his neighbouring strongholds/castles with footmen. I would say that at the least Seagard would need to get a neutral force token with 5 strength, but Lannister could still be too powerful due to the abovementioned support areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean the mean
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
interesting, i think this variant suits our style as lannister cops all the flak because of his great start, the reason i like this mod is because everyone is thrown in... Players cant turtle in this mod,

if lannister over plays his hand he has 2 armies marching on him with support of the third, although with what you've pointed out a skilled player as Lannister with not so skilled players as the rest would make a quick and unbalanced game.

with our group though everyone does rally once a player becomes a big threat eg 6 barrels, 5-6 castles the only way to win in our group is to make sure no one sees the threat until to late (i assume most groups play like this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crippledtank wrote:
interesting, i think this variant suits our style as lannister cops all the flak because of his great start, the reason i like this mod is because everyone is thrown in... Players cant turtle in this mod,...

The problem is that Tyrell, and especially Martell, can't just rush north. If they did so, they would not have the resources (i.e. mustering points, barrels, power tokens) necessary to threaten Lannister or Baratheon. Furthermore, their mustering points are spread apart, whereas Lannister's mustering points are positioned compactly. All the barrels and crowns that Lannister needs are also in the same areas as his mustering points, while Tyrell and Martell's barrels and crowns are in additional areas. This means that Lannister can efficiently secure all his needed resources (mustering points, barrels, crowns) with just a few march orders, while Tyrell and Martell have to invest several march orders (i.e. turns) to do the same (and still have fewer resources to show for it afterwards than Lannister).

Lannister just needs 2-3 turns to set up an effective perimeter, and then he can turtle the rest of the game, especially due to the stronghold tiebreaker. Seagard would therefore have to be downgraded to a castle as well.

crippledtank wrote:
if lannister over plays his hand he has 2 armies marching on him with support of the third, although with what you've pointed out a skilled player as Lannister with not so skilled players as the rest would make a quick and unbalanced game.

It sounds nice theoretically, but the reality of the board indicates that this would not be a problem for Lannister. Harrenhal and Stoney Sept can only be approached from two adjacent land areas, meaning if one of them plays a support order, it will just get raided. Lannisport can only be approached from one land area, and it has a garrison to boot, so that is even tougher to crack. Seagard could be more open, but one can reasonably expect Lannister to control Greywater Watch, and the Twins could be toss-up as well. Baratheon will probably here also only have two approaches, meaning any played support for an attack can be raided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean the mean
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
excellent tanks for pointing out the flaw, i guess everyone who has been lannister hasn't thought out there moves (ive been everyone but) i might stare at the map all night and see what i come up with (in regards to balancing lannister)

Maybe this will work with 5 player if you bring in GREYJOY but once someone wins with lannister everyone will just copy there moves next game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.