Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks - what are people's suggestions on learning the rules? I'm hoping to play for the first time today, and want to make it as smooth as possible.

I've been watching the Myth Videos on their website - and the setup ones were fantastic, however the game-play video seemed to stop explaining the rules - and just following them (doing the 'what', not the 'why'): which means I've ended up with an idea of how things should go, but not the specifics.

Any advice on what's the best way to fill in the gaps - or recommendations for things to read/watch? Or is now the time to hit the rulebook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
I would suggest reading the rulebook from the patch 1.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Watch the videos that MERCS posted, they are essentially what i used to learn the game.

The new rule book is better than the old one but the video's are pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sort of depends on how well you learn something. If you're a better watcher, go for the videos, then read the rules then go to the FAQs. If you're a better fact absorber, read the rules, watch the videos, THEN got o the FAQs.

Once you're done with that, you can start on the 20+ pages of questions you'll have anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ted

Good luck on your first play experience. Sounds like you've done some prep ahead of diving in. Personally, I am a fan of the videos. I think there's a ton of information in them, but as Pink points out, if you're not a visual learner, it may be difficult.

I'd keep the FAQ handy during your play and consult that (and the new rule book) before writing down any questions.

Once you've played, bring all 20 pages of questions here and those that have a bit more experience playing can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Where can I find the 1.1 rule-book? Is it the one on the Myth Site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
savantt wrote:
Thanks guys. Where can I find the 1.1 rule-book? Is it the one on the Myth Site?

They released it as part of the 1.1 Patch. You can find the entire patch here:

http://megacongames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with playing the intro scenario with only two players, omitting Darkness Falls trap on the first tile. We did this for each person in our group before we sat down to play a real game with everybody at once. It was very smooth. I didn't linger on anything I wasn't 100% sure on, and when I went back to review afterwards, we had played everything right anyway.

I do two house rules on clearing the tiles. We give it until the end of that Hero Cycle to convert treasure to gold and then we just set up in a new tile after clearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.