Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been flirting with this game for a while, and tempted to press the button.

But before I do - is this a game that is better in its totality (base plus expansions) or is the core set just fine?

I ask as some games definitely are better when expanded, whereas others offer more of the same with a bit more variety, and some add unneeded complexity.

Where does this one fall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely do not need the expansions. They just give more variety.

They are totally worth getting and fun but not needed. The second expansion does introduce the black die to add another slight variant, but in the end they both just give more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mike. Seasons does expansions the way I like - one rule addition/wrinkle and then lots more of the same stuff that is working. Not necessary at all, but each one adds something small, but neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Did you try it on Board Game Arena? There you can play with or without expansions (at least two, I think), if you want to test them yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
Did you try it on Board Game Arena? There you can play with or without expansions (at least two, I think), if you want to test them yourself.

Ah, no I haven't. Good to know about, but to be honest, I'm not a big fans of playing board games online... I'm in it for the tactile sense of the cards and being with other people!

Also, Kaspersky now blocks this site as a phishing url...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Seasons over 100 times before the expansion came along. Both awe good and provide additional variety though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Randor20 wrote:

Ah, no I haven't. Good to know about, but to be honest, I'm not a big fans of playing board games online... I'm in it for the tactile sense of the cards and being with other people!

Also, Kaspersky now blocks this site as a phishing url...

Also, I think BGA only adds the new cards, not the new rules/modules like the black dice... I've played it several times online and honestly I much prefer playing just vanilla Seasons. But again, having played only online, I can't say how much fun the modules add, just the new cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd say get the expansion. the extra cards are great, obviously, but what currently intrigue me the most are the enchantment cards

p.s. next time i'll try five enchantments at once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is just fine. You don't need the expansions, but they add a nice variety you might want to reach for, later. The cards in expansions are really good, the special ability tokens are something I don't use at all (I don't like them), the special rules cards can be interesting - you can mix your own game using a various set of variant rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
The base game comes with 2 of every card that mixes into the main deck. What I like and would recommend about the expansions is that after getting them, you can remove the duplicate cards from the deck and still have enough to play a 4 player game.

I never liked how my oponent and I could have the same card out in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is that getting some physical crystals for scoring would be more important than getting the add'l cards from the expansion.

I bought some crystals at Goodwill and it increased the fun factor of the game for my kids and me.

I think the base game had plenty of variability for a long time. You'll develop your 'favorite' cards that you like to see. You'll discover various combos, etc... When/if it starts getting stale, you could pick up the expansions to pep it up a little.....but I don't see why you'd need to get the expansion up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are cool and worth getting, but the base set is great by itself. I've had over 30 plays with just the base set and am still happy to play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
My thought is that getting some physical crystals for scoring would be more important than getting the add'l cards from the expansion.

I bought some crystals at Goodwill and it increased the fun factor of the game for my kids and me.

I think the base game had plenty of variability for a long time. You'll develop your 'favorite' cards that you like to see. You'll discover various combos, etc... When/if it starts getting stale, you could pick up the expansions to pep it up a little.....but I don't see why you'd need to get the expansion up front.

What age children do you play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pre-teen and teens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. At least for me!
Bought base plus both expansions. Maybe one day I'll bust the shrink off of them.

Indeed, I am pathetic. Do not judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is awesome. The only expansion really "necessary" imo, is the first one. The second one adds the black die, and more of what was offered in the former expansion honestly. We still bought it, and use it because we love the variety, but the latest expansion isn't really a "need".

The game is great though. I have played it with my wife (mostly a non-gamer except a few casuals/gateways) and daughter, as well as with more serious gaming friends. All have enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
richcharters wrote:

I agree, in fact I'd go so far as to say that the default scoring mechanism (moving tiny cubes on a tiny scoreboard) was a mistake. Too easy to bump, and any effect that transfers crystals requires moving two tiny cubes in opposite directions.

After playing one game we switched to poker chips for crystals for convenience, but they're not terribly attractive.

I also scanned & printed out magnetic versions of the player boards & use magnetic push-pins for the summoning & bonus track markers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did. bought game and both expansions.
Did it 2 weeks ago.
Nice looking game and plays well.
Mixed in both expansions all components and just cards 1 through 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.