Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Balancing first turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hatzav Namer
Israel
Hedera
flag msg tools
its a very simple rule that was taken from catan. the last player choose the race first, then we start tochoose races going counter clockwise until the first player chooses his race last.

very simple and very efficent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing to fix. It's already balanced implicitly by virtue of paying for later races. First player has no opportunity to pick up extra points no matter which race they pick, and has no idea what other races they'll actually be competing with initially. the later the turn, the more information they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't a consistent advantage to going first, because there's no guarantee which races/special powers are available. Aggressive races/powers are less powerful for the first player. On the other hand, terrain-based races and special powers are better for first player. Sometimes the "perfect" race/power combo is lurking beneath the surface of the queue, and the last player gets first crack at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the 'no need for a correction'. Once you get to three players, the game self balances anyway.

On the other hand, another simple way would be to just value the benefit of going first vs second vs etc.. and give an extra coin or two to start the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
There can definitely be cases where there's an amazing combo available right off the bat, and whoever wins start player has an inherent advantage which isn't mitigated by anything.

I'd go about solving this by simply auctioning off start player. Choose a player to start the auction, they must bid, they may bid 0. Keep going around until only one player's left.

Whatever the winning bidder bids, he doesn't pay that much; instead, everyone else gets that much. E.g. if you win with 3, everyone else gets 3 coins.

Let the free market decide what starting is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BatzMatasanos wrote:
its a very simple rule that was taken from catan. the last player choose the race first, then we start tochoose races going counter clockwise until the first player chooses his race last.

very simple and very efficent.

That doesn't fix anything because you aren't changing the turn order...a player still goes first; it's just not the person who 'won' starting player (or who has the ears most like an elf).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

Give each player 2 extra coins. Have a round zero where each player in turn puts their 2 coins on whichever race combo(s) they wish. Then at round 1 the board is "pre-balanced".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree nothing to fix here..in fact I think the first player is at a disadvantage since he can be beaten up immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.