Hide
7 Posts

Claustrophobia» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Way to Play Humans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Augst Second
msg tools
So I've played the first three missions a few times now, and the humans haven't won yet. It seems the humans don't have enough options and their success is largely determined by luck of the tile.

For example, getting stuck with the vine room and two flooded rooms can easily ruin any hope of making it out alive if the demon player is particularly aggressive.

What is the best strategy to win as humans? I'm starting to think they should never split up; keeping all 4 together as closely as possible throughout the game. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the scenario. I forget the title, but there is a scenario where the goal is to get to a specific tile which is one of the bottom few. In that instance, separating out a guy to run around and explore tiles - just to rush the end game and avoid additional turns of being attacked - can be a solid strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above post in that it depends on the scenario. Speaking generally, if the objective involves getting to a tile that is somewhere near the bottom I just run in 4 different directions. For scenarios like the first where a "breath of fresh air" type mechanic is being used I send a blade to explore and try to use the remaining 3 to block potential summon locations (only effective in the early game...) or, finally, if the goal is to defeat an enemy I'll generally try to keep the party together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:
I agree with the above post in that it depends on the scenario.

This can't be emphasized enough.

If you're playing the first scenario, keeping everyone together is a recipe for disaster. Better to move quickly with your blades to reconnoiter while using the Redeemer's Aura of Precognition at every opportunity. That way you'll have a chance of avoiding those deadly rooms you mentioned.

If you haven't done so, I'd recommend that you have a look at my review (see here) where I provided a detailed step-by-step replay of the first scenario. I've been told by many new players that it provided them with useful ideas about how to proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Also, I think it's worth saying the decisions the human player has are hard because you are managing concessions. In a sense you are trying to let the air out of a balloon really slowly .

This feels unfair because everything you do as the Human player loses something. Everything the Demon player does gains something.

This is why the game is so great! Will you have enough left to win (and in the first scenario, you have more than enough - only one needs to get out for a draw) or will the Demons inevitably rise to power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Laeveren
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

In the expansion (de profundis) it's my experience that when the siccaria are in the party, it's very difficult for the demon player to win the game. Certainly when they have the resilient skill.

Generally, I think it's very important to protect the redeemer. He's a key figure. Often, I sacrifice a blade for hire just to explore as many tiles as possible.

This is one of the games I could play every week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every scenario is different.
Even the same scenario (i.e. Survivors) can lead to absolutely different games.

The following points are regarding Survivors (scenario in which humans weaken as times goes by, and where scenario is not pre-configured).

My first advice would be not to stick to any strategy that you are told. Always flow with the game. Different situations lead to different solutions and ways to proceed.

Keep in mind that you (humans) will be weakened turn after turn, so you have to be quick.

USE the talents of your warriors. Specially the Impressive talent of the Burtes, it's awesome.
Depending on the created path, I tend to leave a Brute behind, always with the highest die on him (high defence) to block the entrance.

Remember the goal: in Survivors, only 2 warriors have to survive. The others are expendable.

If possible, always force the Devil player to spent two dice (7,11) to enter the map. So block opened edges. Two dice spent to enter the map, are 4 thread points or 2 event cards less for the devil player.

Have an eye on the thread points (TP)and event cards collected by the demon player (DP). The more he has, the more dangerous he is. You can assume some risks if DP has few TP and cards ( i.e. leaving a human with DEF 3/exhausted on an accessible tile).

Use precognition as much as you can.

When blocking action lines (wounds), do it so you can play around with all dice results. I will never (with some exceptions) block the same number on all humans.

Losing a warrior means losing a die (= less options to optimize your turn). So I prefer 6 wounds spread on the 4 warriors rather than all them on 1.

When moving, consider Elusive talent. According to blocking rules, if you have the Redeemer and a Blade on the same tile together with 2 trogs, you can only escape one of them. So move the Redeemer first. Since Blade is elusive, he can ignore blocking rules. If you moved first the Blade, you could not then move the Redeemer.

Save the Blessing talent for the appropriate time.

In Survivors, there's a Blade with a Blunderbuss (+1 Atck and can shoot 1 tile away). This is an exceptional supporting character, able to offer help to the front and the back of the expedition (if you have separated the group).

A high stat dice roll (all 5 and 6) may allow you to spread your heroes since they will be good self-defended. A low stat dice roll (all 1-2) may be telling you to join your humans: if they are spread in different tiles, each of them may be attacked by 3 trogs (if DP has enough TP); while if they share a tile, they can only be attacked by 3 trogs (* generally speaking).

Anyway, just flow with the game and adapt to the circumstances. Survivors is very tactical for humans, it requires adaptation at every turn, not thinking about the next one until it arrives. The Demon player can play more strategically, usually he will control the tiles, he can think of saving more TP and cards for later, etc.

Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.