Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the increasing number of Independent cards being produced is an Independent fleet now viable (without resources)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sure. Might even do okay in a ship-pure environment. Khan on the Gorn thing, Soong doin' Soong stuff with Lore, maybe.

In a mixed faction environment it would of course get prawned by borg shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For OP1, half of my 90 point fleet was the following:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

S'Gorn (22)
Khan Singh (5)
Flagship (0)
Faked Messages (5)
Joachim (4)
Cyrano Jones (3)
Ship SP: 39

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

It's no Battleship, but it definitely punches above its weight. Khan's ability benefits both Joachim's and the S'Gorn's. Faked Messages was there as Assimilation bait, but could also be used if the situation allowed. I used it to good effect twice; once to put my opponent's 3rd Wing too close to the edge to recover, and another time to force a damaged ship to sit in front of my fleet's guns for a second round of attacks, instead of Transwarping past and out of arc (resulting in the destruction of that ship).

Coincidentally, I pulled the Gavroche as my Blind ship, and that turned out to be a useful little ship as well, dodging many more attacks than I would have expected and getting in a few decent shots of its own.

With this fleet, I went 3-0, taking second place because the other player with no losses was able to wipe out two of his opposing fleets to gain the bonus Battle Points, which I was sadly unable to do.

Had I opted to build a Soong with my remaining 53 points, instead of the JH Battlecruiser I actually used, I would have had quite a formidable all-Independent fleet. So, to make a long story short, yes, it's certainly possible to field an Independent-pure fleet that's actually useful. It'll require some skill and luck, but it can definitely be competitive.

*Edit: I didn't notice at first that you said no resources. Sorry. For what it's worth, the build doesn't depend on the Flagship, and if it was disallowed, it'd certainly be possible to find another useful way to spend those 10 points, so I think the point's still valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just put in the no resources bit to stop people from saying it's feasible and then suggest something like a flagshipped Borg Cube.

I think the idea is still valid if you use an independent Flagship or Fleet Captain resource on an Independent Ship or Captain as you've done.

I agree there are some nice choices for the independent's now.

They've got a big ship in the Soong, some reasonable skill captains and other upgrades.

Maybe not as much choice as any of the larger factions but certainly ahead of the smaller ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dole
msg tools
Yeah, I really like a few of the cards, especially the Gorn Captain. Depending on the Val Jean release, I think I'm going to end up playing the faction a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:

What was the other half, if you don't mind me asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
kemikos wrote:

What was the other half, if you don't mind me asking?

2nd Division Cruiser (34)
Weyoun (4)
Boheeka (2)
Shroud (1)
Ship SP: 41

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Nothing subtle here, just a very solid heavy hitter. Boheeka adds dice fixing, and Weyoun and Shroud keep him from being yoinked by the BCT.

I also forgot that I had swapped out the Follower for Cyrano Jones on the S'Gorn. The extra Attack and Defense dice definitely came in handy, and when the Tribbles started to build up, there was a nice handy BCT with no shields to send the extras to. Also, once the game starts, Jones has literally no effect, so the Borg can take him any time they want.

beforemath wrote:
Yeah, I really like a few of the cards, especially the Gorn Captain. Depending on the Val Jean release, I think I'm going to end up playing the faction a lot.

I like the Gorn Commander, too. He's a free Boheeka that doesn't require a token to use... what's not to like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well technically you could use the Soong, Tholian One, and/or the S'Gorn. They are all independent ships. It would be rather easy to field an independent pure team now. Not sure how effective it would be in the end, but definitely possible. I'm sure you could come up with some interesting casual fleets, but I can't see any real competitive builds out of just indie stuff, unless you were playing in a completely faction pure event. Even then it would take a really good player and a lot of planning to amke it work competitively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.