Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Losing the 'friendly card game' with less than 3 dollars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An encounter at Hibb's Roadhouse reads:
You enter a "friendly" card game. Make a Luck (-1) check. If you pass, you win $5. If you fail, you lose $3. If you lose and can't pay, the boys rough you up and throw you outside. Lose 1 Stamina and move to the street.

If I have 1 or 2 dollars, do I still have to pay those and get tossed out broke, or am I just tossed out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is unclear, and I'm not usually a big fan of using "thematic" arguments for rules interpretations, but...

It's hard to see the "boys" letting you keep what money you have because you cannot pay the full amount.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
The text is unclear, and I'm not usually a big fan of using "thematic" arguments for rules interpretations, but...

It's had to see the "boys" letting you keep what money you have because you cannot pay the full amount.
Yeah, that's how I decided as well when it came up last week.
Thanks for letting me know I didn't miss a ruling saying otherwise!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like you lose all your money.

EDIT: Changed my answer below.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
An encounter at Hibb's Roadhouse reads:
You enter a "friendly" card game. Make a Luck (-1) check. If you pass, you win $5. If you fail, you lose $3. If you lose and can't pay, the boys rough you up and throw you outside. Lose 1 Stamina and move to the street.

If I have 1 or 2 dollars, do I still have to pay those and get tossed out broke, or am I just tossed out?


Teeka,

In my games, it's all-or-nothing...pay the $3 or you're kicked to the street.

Cheers,
Joe
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
Radulla wrote:
The text is unclear, and I'm not usually a big fan of using "thematic" arguments for rules interpretations, but...

It's had to see the "boys" letting you keep what money you have because you cannot pay the full amount.
Yeah, that's how I decided as well when it came up last week.
Thanks for letting me know I didn't miss a ruling saying otherwise!


Oh, goodness, don't take my word as definitive!

I should have made it clearer that I was stating an opinion...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Oh, goodness, don't take my word as definitive!

I should have made it clearer that I was stating an opinion...
Well, I had thouroughly checked the rules, FAQ,and this rules forum. And I'm pretty sure you have too (many times!).
So if neither of us knows of anything official, and we both agree on what is intuitively the best option, then that's definitive enough for me! laugh


...but Joe disagrees! Hmm.. anyone else? It can make quite a difference yes or no.


(Sorry for all the edits, haven't had my coffee yet.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the Professor. We play it all or nothing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-read the card. I suppose if you can't pay the full $3 you are ushered to the door.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D4L3W wrote:
I'm with the Professor. We play it all or nothing.


This is the way we play it. All or nothing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.