Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a really dumb question, but I couldn't find it on any of the BGG forums or the rules booklet.

Can you choose to play an "X" Card (sneak attack)? If so, what happens?

I assume you can, and then nothing happens, but wanted to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sneak Attack does not trigger its
effect when you play the card (if
you play the card, it has no effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the expert but from the videos and threads I've read, yes you can play the "X" card but nothing happens (ability wise) and playing it could potentially give away that you have either another one or the Lost Legacy as normally you wouldn't discard cards that have no effect unless you had a good reason.

So there will be times where you might be forced to discard one of the "X" cards if you have the Lost Legacy in your hand.

If you watch UndeadViking's review, he touches on some of those mechanics.

Hope that helps!!!

Edits: Updated based on posts below as I'm still relatively new to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to get it out of your hand as it eliminates you from the investigation phase if it comes to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, thank you. I must've missed whatever section in the rulebook mentions this.

I also understand that there is a risk of the #4 card (swordsman?) who eliminates you if you hold an X in your hand. There are many reasons why a player might decide to discard an X card instead of holding onto it and hoping to eliminate another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have it in the end, you do not get to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ED_209 wrote:
... well you can play the Lost Legacy but you'll lose as it's like the Princess in Love Letter where if you discard it, you automatically lose.

I don't think this is true. You can't play the Lost Legacy. Not the starship anyway. (I don't know about other versions of Lost Legacy which may be coming up...) It doesn't say on the card that if you play it you lose. It says you can't play it.

Indeed, there is nothing in the rules of this game which will force you to play or to discard a card. The Lost Legacy can be exchanged with other cards (via the General, Search or Assault actions) but it never enters a discard pile and will always be one of the unrevealed cards (in the ruins or in a players hand) when the investigation phase starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton U
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mathmethman wrote:
[q="ED_209"]... (I don't know about other versions of Lost Legacy which may be coming up...) ...

The Flying Garden rules (I haven't read the Starship rules very thoroughly yet) says that whenever the Lost Legacy enters a discard pile you shuffle it into the ruins. I suppose that could be the case for Starship as well, at least if you're using cards from both sets.

Edit: Played Starship again the other day and of course it explicitly say you cannot play it. The Flying Garden, however, I would say is playable and will in that end up shuffled into the ruins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that means you can play the lost legacy. It just means if a card effect causes you to discard the LL, it is shuffled back into the deck instead. The same statement is made in starship for when a player is eliminated while holding the LL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An awkward situation can arise when you mix decks. If you have the 'Wound' cards (from the Flying Garden deck) and the Starship Lost Legacy card (which 'cannot be played'). What happens if you already have a Wound in your discard and you have to find a card to play from 'Wound' and 'Starship'? You are forced to play the second Wound and therefore are eliminated. Which means you must discard your hand. The Starship has not technically been 'played' but is no longer hidden.

When this situation came up we treated the Starship the same as the Flying Garden and shuffled it into the ruins. I suppose the only other way of playing would be to keep going and the other players would have to aim to eliminate other players in order to win. (Because no-one would be able to win during the investigation phase - none of the unrevealed cards would be the Starship.) On the other hand, someone could play the Necromancer and thereby return the Starship to the deck. In fact, come to think of it, the game could progress to some kind of conclusion even if you stick to the strict rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.