Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has me going crazy. I love card games and especially the theme but I'm struggling with a number of gameplay questions and it seems like whichever answer I assume is correct it creates more questions. I started trying to type them out and it became more confusing so I thought I would just ask them one at a time and deal with them that way. So here goes....

1. Does the Colty player always go first each round or does the first player alternate each round?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Colty goes first and after he finishes his turn, it's McReady's turn. Then: see who wins the current battle (if McReady wins, bandits will be killed. The Colty player decides which bandits. If McReady hasn't succeeded in killing any bandit this round, Colty may remove a cube from the Mexican border).

After that: move the turn marker to the next spot. Then it's Colty's turn again. So yes, Colty ALWAYS goes first! (that's the short answer ;-))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colty takes the first turn, then just alternate the entire game.

Just remember, only Colty moves the round marker at start of his turn, and only McReady checks at end of turn who has more firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! So Bart says Colty always goes first and Mark if I understand you correctly you are saying Colty goes first then the first player alternates each round thereafter.

I feel like that's the same type of information I keep finding which means I am still confused. My interpretation of the rules says that Colty always goes first but I feel like that would break the game. To me one of the best parts of the games is trying to decide if I should play more cards to beat what my opponent has played or hold cards back for later. Taking turns doing this makes sense. If only the McReady player gets to do that I can't see what fun it would be to play Colty, your just taking guesses on which cards to play and hoping that the other player doesn't play better ones than you. There's none of that agonizing over what is the better play. Just play some and see what happens.

So once we clear up how the turns are really supposed to be played. My next question is:

Once the first player has played his cards and then the second player has played their counter cards can the first player play additional cards to try and counter what the second player played. If so is there a limit as to how many times each player can play additional cards or is it till they run out of cards in their hand?

Also do you have to play a card on your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, first player does NOT alternate each round. It's very simple... players just alternate turns the whole game, just like most games. Don't think of it as 'rounds'. Just, you go, then I go, then you go, then I go, then you go, then I go... repeat, repeat, repeat.

Colty's takes first turn of game
then McReady goes
then Colty goes
then McReady goes
then Colty goes
then McReady goes
repeat
repeat
repeat

No one ever takes 2 turns in a row.

Quote:
Once the first player has played his cards and then the second player has played their counter cards can the first player play additional cards to try and counter what the second player played.

Sure, Colty can play more cards to counter, up to his limit of 3 on his side, but only on his own turn. McReady can still kill a gang member at the end of his own turn before Colty gets a chance to play more cards.

Some example turns at the start of a game...

-Colty plays cards (for example, say he puts 2 cards worth 5 firepower on his side). His turn is over.
-Then McReady plays 6 firepower worth of cards on his side. His turn is over, and since he has more firepower on his side than Colty (6 to 5), Colty must choose one of his gang members to die.
-Now it is Colty's turn again, he moves the round marker to the second spot on the bank card, and now adds a third card to his in-play cards at the bank, a firepower 3 card, for a total firepower 8 on his side. His turn is now over.
-Now on McReady's turn he has to add at least 3 more firepower on his side (or take them away from Colty's side) to kill another gang member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a short overview:

Battlefield 1: Repentence Springs.
1. Turn marker starts at round 1 in this first battlefield.
2. Colty starts the game with his first turn, playing cards at this battlefield (keep in mind there are also cards that you can play at future battlefields). Colty has a maximum of three cards that can be played on the table 'under this battlefield'. Besides that, he can play as many action cards as he wants (those are the cards that you don't play on the table under a battlefield, but cards that you discard after you've played them).
3. Then it's McReady's turn to play cards at this battlefield (keep in mind there are also cards that you can play at future battlefields). McReady doesn't have a card limit to be played on the table 'under this battlefield'. He can play as many cards as he wants to.
4. Check firepower to see who won the first round at the first battlefield (Colty removes a cube from the Mexican border if McReady hasn't killed anyone this turn OR McReady kills one or more bandits; Colty decides which ones).
5. Colty moves the turn marker to round 2 in this first battlefield.
6. Colty's turn to play cards at the current battlefield; that's round 2 at Repentence Springs (keep in mind there are also cards that you can play at future battlefields). Colty has a maximum of three cards that can be played on the table 'under this battlefield'. Of course, he is free te remove cards from the current battlefield, so he can play more powerful ones, if he has no space left (max. 3 under the battlefield). Again, he can play as many action cards as he wants.
7. Then it's McReady's turn (keep in mind there are also cards that you can play at future battlefields). Again, McReady can play as many cards as he wants to; no limits.
8. Check firepower to see who won the second round at the first battlefield (Colty removes a cube from the Mexican border if McReady hasn't killed anyone this turn OR McReady kills one or more bandits; Colty decides which ones).
9. Colty's turn again: he moves the turn marker to the next round, which is on the next battlefield card (if no one has played a card this round that moves the round marker one round back or forth, that is).
10. Colty's turn.
11. McReady's turn.
12. Check firepower etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Also do you have to play a card on your turn?

No, you can also decide to not play any cards and build a stronger hand for future battlefields.

For example:
Colty already has +3 firepower at Whiskey Canyon, a place where I've often decided as the McReady player to take my losses and to build a stronger hand for the next battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS guys for clearing this up for me! The information you provided really helps. I'm really sorry for being such an idiot but I've really had a hard time grasping this for some reason.

You have cleared up turn order perfectly for me but one other thing I guess I had wrong from the way you explained it is how cards are played. I though that Colty could play three new FP cards each turn at a location for example:

Turn #1 at the bank Colty plays 3 FP cards then McReady plays his cards.

Turn #2 the cards played on turn one are slid to the side and Colty can play up to three new cards. None of the cards he played in turn #1 apply only the cards he played in turn #2 apply. This is totally wrong from what I gathered from your examples.

From your examples it appears that Colty's card limit of three is for the entire location not three each turn and that the cards FP accumulates each turn. Turn 2's FP is added to turn 1's FP to determine you wins turn #2, then resets back to zero when the location changes, correct?

Again, I'm really sorry for being such an idiot on how to play this. I don't know why I've had such a hard time grasping this. I really appreciate your help!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unless removed or discarded, FP cards played turn 1 count for every turn at that battlefield. Which makes playing cards turn 1 at battlefields with normally 4 turns better than those with 2 turns, you'll get more mileage out of them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/721971/first-play-play-p...

In the above session by me, Colty plays Gatling Gun on the first turn and if you note under Attack each turn at Repentance Springs Bank, Colty has 4 FP each time. Turn 2 Colty played two other FP cards, but McReady removed them on his turn 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rauli,

Thanks for the play through link. I wished I had found that earlier. Thanks to everyone for the help. I believe I have the process down now. Can't wait to try playing it the correct way .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I though that Colty could play three new FP cards each turn at a location

Colty can play 3 new Firepower (and any number of one-shot) cards each turn, but he can only ever have 3 at a time down at any one battlefield. So, once he has 3 down, if he wants to put another Firepower card down he has to discard one of the 3 Firepower cards that are already down first.

Nothing is "slid to the side" each turn.

If Colty has 3 Firepower cards down at a location for a total of 8 Firepower, and ends his turn like that, after McReady takes his turn Colty still has those same 3 cards active for the same 8 Firepower at that battlefield (assuming McReady didn't destroy any). If he wants he doesn't have to do anything, and can send the turn back to McReady with 8 Firepower again, or he can discard one of those 3 cards from the battlefield in order to play a stronger one in it's place, improving his Firepower to 9 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Again, I'm really sorry for being such an idiot on how to play this. I don't know why I've had such a hard time grasping this. I really appreciate your help!!!

No apologies needed, of course, Tim! Your BGG friends are here to help you out, so if there's more you need to know, feel free to ask :-) Enjoy the game; it's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch for all of the help everyone!!! I hope this will be my last stupid question but I was reading a play through somewhere in which the McReady player killed multiple gang members on one turn. I just wanted to clarify how this was done.

I assume the McReady player had more FP AND used an extra card that directly killed a gang member. FP points do not kill more than one gang member do they? For example: Colty has 3 FP McReady plays 5 FP. Only one gang member dies not two in that case correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McReady has two phases in which he can make his kills. Phase 3, or Play Cards phase, he can play cards like Ambush, "Get the Rope Boys!", "Take 'em out!" or Ned McReady himself, those are all what I call kill cards (since they straight out kill bandits when played).

Second is Phase 4, or Attack phase, where firepower totals are compared. If McReady has higher total, one bandit is killed.

I've seen my share of 6-kill turns, might've been a seven kill turn somewhere among my 1,001 plays of today, 4-kill turns aren't even uncommon I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I assume the McReady player had more FP AND used an extra card that directly killed a gang member. FP points do not kill more than one gang member

correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sigh… loads of games on the shelf with rules I've grasped pretty quickly; loads of Revolver reviews and rules clarifications read; the designer's really odd responses in threads and FAQs accommodated (odd in that you really get the feel that he didn't think things through properly at the design stage or take an appropriate amount of care in subsequent Q & A's); and STILL I am not totally sure how to play this game! Of course, all you folks who DO know will say hey it's really simple, but sure it is when you know how. But for me, this is one game and designer that have had enough of my time and money and for anyone else struggling out there, it really isn't you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.