Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though some of this week's panel are teetotalers, that will not stop us from reviewing this 1987 classic about everyone's favorite Boston bar! The Cheers board game, based on the situation comedy of the same name, pits the patrons and staff against each-other in a hybrid trivia/dexterity game. Is the brutal "Normie's Olympics" too much of a challenge for even the most sober of panelists? Will this TSR-produced classic deliver on the implied promise of dungeons and/or dragons in a Boston pub? Pull up a stool and join us, won't you?

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/08/episode-59-cheers....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are sitting in a dimly lit tavern. The barkeep sighs as he wipes down the counter and you can smell the sticky mix of spilled beer and dirty water left behind. A waitress approaches and introduces herself as Diane.

Before she can take your order, a large man bursts through the door. He immediately commands your attention as everyone else exclaims, "Norm!"

(Some dice are rolled behind a screen.)

You're fairly certain that the rest of the patrons fear this man.

Alright party...what do you do!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to talk to him...CHA check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I have a good feeling about the future of this thread...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt franz
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Cardboard Carnage Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder who each of you would be as the cast members of the show.

Would cliff be any good at the battle of wits? Nah I doubt it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Nevins
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pause in paranoia wondering how all these strangers know my name...then I realize they are addressing the rotund gentleman. I turn back to place my order and realize the waitress has become very distracted and wandered off. I believe she is flirting with the bartender.

I scan the crowd. An obnoxious twit with a bad mustache is talking with thefat man. Perhaps, just perhaps this man is our contact. The mastermind hiding behind this cover of buffoonery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brasslett
msg tools
As the only elf in the tavern, I keep my knit Red Sox cap pulled over my ears, order another glass of wine, and remain firmly seated in the corner where I can watch everything as it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Josephus
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I obviously buy everyone a round at the bar hoping to learn more about this mysterious man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I scan the bar looking for the man who charged by the local council to deliver messages for the king, nobles and anyone else who can afford a stamp. I know he is the man I have been searching for all this time. I have to be careful, I know he is a wizard after all, with his uncanny ability to track a package to anywhere in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chris: Norm seems to become friendly when you approach and welcomes you to talk with him, but warns you that he's just here for "a quick one". You have a chance to ask him a question!

Norm (but not that Norm): (Rolls some dice.) You overhear your waitress call the man "Norman" before heading back to the bar and ignoring your table. Suddenly, a voice with a strong dwarven accent says, "Are yer eyes broken? They must be because no one can bear staring at Cliff as long as you have." You hear faint laughter from an otherworldly source - this woman must be a muse of the gods.

Roger: You pull down on your Red Sox Cap of Perception +1 and feel like you are able to see more clearly. You realize you recognize the barkeep. It's hard to place him, but you are filled with a strange sense of loathing mixed with shame. You watch the barkeep pour himself a drink.

Scott: The patrons become very friendly and begin addressing you by name. You learn that the man Norm is well-liked. However, one patron in particular speaks with you at length. In a deep, dulcet tone, he tell you: "Norm is surely hiding some deep secrets. He is probably suffering from a subconscious pain, a feeling like he has betrayed those he is closest to." He finishes off the pint you bought him. "I still have a lot to tell you. Sam, I'll have another on this man!" A strange otherworldly echo of laughter follows this order. The man speaks at length about his deceased overlord before introducing himself as Frasier Crane.

Flip: Your eyes stop when they land on a scrawny uniformed man with a push broom mustache. He doesn't stop talking the entire time you watch. You notice that the nametag on his uniform reads "Clavin" and it strikes you how similar it is to your own last name, "Flavin". A sense of foreboding overwhelms you as you mentally remove his mustache...and hair...and add makeup...and a red wig...yes, truly this man is your doppelganger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I adjust my cleric's collar nervously, and take a seat on the stool on the other side of the human who has just introduced himself as Frasier Crane. This man is the reason I have journeyed to this tavern, nay, to this plane. I MUST find out what he knows about the foul she-dragon, Lileth, if I am ever to slay her and complete my quest.

I clutch the holy symbol in my pocket and order an ale from the obviously dim-witted stable boy who's taken over tending the bar while his Master drinks. Perhaps I'll overhear this Crane say something useful.

Tymora, guide my path!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Electric
badge
It is said to camouflage itself as a Poké Ball. It will self-destruct with very little stimulus.
mb
glweston wrote:
I clutch the holy symbol in my pocket and order an ale from the obviously dim-witted stable boy who's taken over tending the bar while his Master drinks.

My conversation is interrupted as this Gary fellow orders his drink. Woody quickly returns his attention to me, but it takes some subtle reminders to resume where we left off. Not the sharpest spear in the bunch, but he sees it all.

"So you say it is true, everyone knows your name when you enter this place. Even if it's your first appearance."

I take a deep sip of my beer, examining the room for any signs of magic runes. Perhaps it's the door itself, that old dirty glass with the simple sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brasslett
msg tools
The lithe elf (disguised with a Red Sox knit winter cap) sneaks up behind the gruff dwarf. "Excuse me, I don't believe I know your name."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall ask the Norm... "How faireth thine bride? Is she well?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Nevins
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I grab dice...I chuck them...then realize I should have picked specific dice. I grab my dice pool of 2d12 and I get my ability bonus of +2 and a circumstantial bonus of 1d6. I roll a total of 8...yep my dice and I have that kind of relationship).

I turn to see the source of this dwarven bellow, "so you know this mustachioed man."

The dulcet tones of the laughter wash over me. "By my ancestors, what glorious creature elicits such beautious tones? Tell me good dwarf, who is she?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I slowly stand up and walk towards the restroom. I am going to bluff and try to do the time honored "wee-wee dance". Luckily my training kicks in and I believe I can pull it off flawlessly.

I have flashbacks of practice my "wee wee dance" back at the monastery, only I was doing it whilst balanced perfectly atop a 30 foot pole during a hurricane and my master screaming at me the whole time.

As I approach my target, adjust my trajectory to skirt past his fat friend and position myself behind the pair. I've only got one chance to do this.

I reach inside my coat and swiftly unsheath... a mailing tube. I need to try to slip into this messengers delivery pouch. The fate of my order depends on it.

Do I roll to see if I succeed, spin or is there some other randomizer in play here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To Chris, Norm replies, "Mine wife is very well, if the amount of talking she does is any indication of health." Again, a strange chorus of otherworldly laughter echoes through the bar, phasing no one.

Bobby, your study of the bathroom sign seems fruitful. You seem certain that these are ancient runes that may be useful in some way.

Gary, Frasier seems ready to tell you anything you want to know about Lilith, the draconic ice queen. But then...

Just after Roger reveals that he knows not the maiden's name, the bar falls silent. Little did Roger know that the one stabilizing factor of this bar is that everybody knows your name. With this utterance, an ancient binding ritual is ended.

The floorboards break apart. Sam, Diane, and Woody are consumed by the earth as they fall into a gaping abyss that was once the back of the bar. A chilling blast of cold blows out of it.

You are not prepared for the horrors that face you as Lilith rises out of the abyss. Her skin is fair and her hair is jet black, but as she rises her humanoid features give way to cold, blue, scaly skin. She expands her wings and they crack and snap as ice crystals break off, spraying you in the face.

"Oh, of all oedipal nightmares!" Frasier exclaims. "Gary, you must-" Lilith devours Frasier, leaving the remainder of his sentence a mystery.

Flip, turns out that this is an excellent chance to slip your mailing tube into the messenger's sacred delivery pouch. Roll 3d14 and 38d17 to determine which results spinners to use, then spin both. Consult the chart on page 3162 of your Player's "Handbook" to find the results. Also, please exclaim "Sur-zah!" (you the player, not you the character) once you've determined the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brasslett
msg tools
I think your best bet, there Flip, is to use Normie's good old battle flipper on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:

Flip, turns out that this is an excellent chance to slip your mailing tube into the messenger's sacred delivery pouch. Roll 3d14 and 38d17 to determine which results spinners to use, then spin both. Consult the chart on page 3162 of your Player's "Handbook" to find the results. Also, please exclaim "Sur-zah!" (you the player, not you the character) once you've determined the results.

Great! Finally a chance to use my d14's and d17's!! I'm going to have to go to the store, I am just a few shy of 38 of them...

Now wheres that Handbook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I was reading it in the bathroom. It must still be in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any video of the Normie's Olympics Battle Flipper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of. But we can remedy that pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
Not that I know of. But we can remedy that pretty easily.

That would be awesome! Let me know if/when there's a post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
Luce wrote:

Great! Finally a chance to use my d14's and d17's!! I'm going to have to go to the store, I am just a few shy of 38 of them...

Now wheres that Handbook?

3d14 = (5 + 6 + 5) = 16

38d17 = (16 + 17 + 7 + 13 + 7 + 12 + 16 + 9 + 10 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 17 + 13 + 11 + 12 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 7 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 10 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 7 + 14 + 5 + 11 + 6 + 15 + 15 + 8 + 14) = 329

OOC: "Sur-Zah!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 587583. Red 6
  • 3d14 =
  • (5 + 6 + 5) =
  • Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 587584. Red 6
  • 38d17 =
  • (16 + 17 + 7 + 13 + 7 + 12 + 16 + 9 + 10 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 17 + 13 + 11 + 12 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 7 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 10 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 7 + 14 + 5 + 11 + 6 + 15 + 15 + 8 + 14) =
  • Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:26 pm
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.