6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winning the game question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
The manual says "If at least one player survives through the copletion of the final stage of the scenario, the game ends in a victory for the players."

Does that mean the game is won at the end of the final quest phase or does it mean if any players survive to the end of the round in which the final quest phase took place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chyron8472 wrote:
The manual says "If at least one player survives through the copletion of the final stage of the scenario, the game ends in a victory for the players."

Does that mean the game is won at the end of the final quest phase or does it mean if any players survive to the end of the round in which the final quest phase took place?

The game is won immediately after the final quest stage is completed (usually by placing the last progress token on it but sometimes through a different victory condition). You don't wait until the end of a round or the phase to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one player has survived until the resolution of the final stage, everyone wins. The "everyone wins" event doesn't need to occur during the quest phase. For example, on any final stage that can be won by simply having enough progress tokens on it, if Legolas destroys an enemy and places the last progress token needed on that stage, the game is immediately won. There is no need to finish the combat phase or any other steps - everybody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an important detail (that the game is won in most scenarios as soon as the final progress token is played).

There's been MANY scenarios in which threats have been piling up, the enemies are becoming insurmountable, etc. I try to strategize my way through it all, and my wife does the math and figures out we can just quest with everyone and win, right on the spot. Knowing you don't need to leave people behind to attack or defend can allow you to often win with one big final turn.

Of course keep in mind that plenty of scenarios also have slightly different victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErrorJustin wrote:
There's been MANY scenarios in which threats have been piling up, the enemies are becoming insurmountable, etc. I try to strategize my way through it all, and my wife does the math and figures out we can just quest with everyone and win, right on the spot. Knowing you don't need to leave people behind to attack or defend can allow you to often win with one big final turn.

I love giving that advice in Road to Rivendell. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
ErrorJustin wrote:

Obviously this is a valid tactic, especially in desperation. But it can definitely backfire in some scenarios, because there are cards which force removal of characters from the quest, or lower everyone's willpower.

Even in the first scenario this could happen - if you commit 10 characters to the quest then draw Ungoliant's Spawn, you're probably screwed! Even worse if this happens in Dol Guldur...

Then there's Necromancer's Reach killing all your 1HP allies... nasty. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.