Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All:
I'm a big fan of CDGs and looking for my next purchase. So far it looks like either Unhappy King Charles or Amateurs to Arms.

Can anyone give me an indication of the complexity of this? I'm especially wary of games with a lot of finicky rules or exceptions in the rules. As a guide to my own tastes: I find Hannibal, For the People, Washington's War, Twilight Struggle, Shifting Sands easily digestible. Kingdom of Heaven is borderline digestible, Wilderness War is borderline indigestible, and I've never been able to even start on Clash of Monarchs.

Garry
[Posted to both Unhappy King Charles and Amateurs to Arms]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peacock
Canada
Montréal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UKC is pretty sweet, definitely worth it.
There's some rules exceptions (if you want to call it that), but it adds a lot to the flavour and not superfluous chrome, I found the rules were pretty digestible (but then again, I didn't have any issue with Wilderness war).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
See my comments in the AtA thread:

I would also add that I really enjoy both of these games (from my limited experiences with them).

Much longer, detailed, comments, here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16492438#16492438

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I find wilderness war very simple and more important, great fun.

Unhappy King Charles is also great fun, and I think about the same as Wilderness War in terms of special or finicky rules.

UKC has some unusual rules. It handles interception differently, almost opposite of most CDG. Attrition is a little strange, I like to use the optional rule to randomize its start. And when the New Model Army comes in, do not overthink it, just get the 2 page flow chart from the files on BGG and follow that.

I highly recommend both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also endorsing UKC. Recruitment is a little 'finicky', but makes sense historically. Stick with it; great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yep. Read the designers notes and find out why the rules are as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:

Unhappy King Charles is also great fun, and I think about the same as Wilderness War in terms of special or finicky rules.

There's a difference. The finickyness of rules in WW comes from the fact that you have something like 7 different types of combat unit - drilled European troops, militia, continental troops, Indians and other irregulars - and there are different rules applying to each type. Also, the supply line rules can be a bit tricky.

UKC does not have that - the combat units are fairly uniform (even if their uniforms aren't) - but people always point to the recruitment rules as finicky. True, but what they do is show in a remarkably believable way the greater difficulty the King had in recruiting as the war wore on, compared to Parliament. He's more dependent on regional generals, of whom he only has two (one North and one South, and if Parliament has taken the South he may not be able to get Hopton back on the board), and local notables, of which he has more but Parliament may have targeted them from the beginning. Often when I play and Parliament is on top I am reminded of Alec Guinness' face in Cromwell as he (the King) proposes with great strategic moves, only to be told by his war council that this, that and the other plan won't work because his armies have dried up...

(Edit): Now if he only had a light saber or...

"These are not the cavaliers you are looking for."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Carter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The complexity is fine, as long as you're aware of the period. DO NOT buy this game to learn about the ECW. Learn about the ECW and then buy this game, and you'll understand the 'chrome' as pepole call it, or, proper period flavouring to the game, as I see it.

Once you get the chrome bits, you'll understand most of the rest without question. It's a seriously good game, but don't let anyone kid you that you'l play it ina a few hours - you'll be at this for a good 4-8 hours (unless someone else can enlighten me as to how quick they can rattle through it?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.