BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New to a board game gathering: An Etiquette Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm going to a local board gaming group for the first time Saturday, and I'm unsure of group dynamics and had a quick etiquette question:

How much is too much to bring?

I started pulling stuff aside earlier featuring a mix of player levels, and counts anything 2-5 (oddly I have nothing with six).

I think I've set aside the following list with a mix of player count and skill level.

Here is what I'm considering:
Small World
Spyrium
Elder Sign
Hive
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Blood Bowl TM
Core Worlds
Race for the Galaxy
Space Hulk Death Angel

Anything to drop or cut down? I have no idea what is being brought and figured I'd be prepared, but didn't want to break some rule about not bringing too much stuff with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would bring up to three games of different weights and/or genres, which are more or less unlikely to be brought by anyone else.

Also, a supported flexible number of players would be great, as you do not know how many will eventually join the table - but generally, a higher number of players would be great, since it is your first time, so you get to know more people in less time.

And no matter what and how many games you bring: be able to teach them without even thinking about touching the rulebook.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're a bit heavy on 2 player games; most people come to these groups to play multiplayer. One quick 2 player game should be enough in case you play a game with early player elimination.

I'd generally limit it to what you can carry in one bag. There will be other games there, and you don't want to look like you're planning on sleeping over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you for the help I will most likely parse it down to one bag. I was trying to cover the spectrum as best I could. Plus with the way my collection sits right now due to spacial issues in my current living situation it's split in 3 spots different spots, was more along the lines of oh that's cool too because it was next to the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'd go with bringing possibly the #1 game you want to play, if even that, and go with the expectation that it won't get played. If it does get played then hurray!

I'd just show up and do what the existing group is doing. You're the new person in this situation and possibly have no idea what the dynamic of the group is. Are they non-stop Carcassonne players? Mix of light games. Super hardcore economic euro? Amerifun?

Like I said, just go and try to mingle. Maybe bring something that you're dieing to play but possibly just observe what style of gaming is going on and join in on their fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just curious, are you certain there is an expectation of bringing games? not sure what kind of "gathering" you are going to. when our local store has board game nights they actually have a ton of open games there that everyone plays.

I would say if you are taking games less is always better and it is always best to go with your most accessible games. If you take games that have limited appeal you might not get many takers. If you haven't already maybe have a chat with the people putting the night on and get a sense for what people bring. One thing I would say is don't be offended if no one wants to play one of your games as this happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not bring any games the first time I went. There will be plenty of games there, and then you'll get a sense of what that group likes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I bring, on average, two games when I play with a group of 8 - 10 people. The most I ever brought was four games. There are usually so many games that the games I bring may not get played. The host usually has about 40 - 50 games piled on a large table and other people bring games, too (maybe another 10 - 12 in total). So, there are plenty that never get played. In our group, no one monitors how many games someone brings or criticizes them for bringing too many or too few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Frey
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people literally show up to open groups with wagons full of games, so I don't think there's too much. Usually most people bring at least two to five games including fillers, so even if you show up empty handed or with only one game, there will still be more than enough to play.

You might just want to pick the one or two games you really feel like playing that night with you, and then push those. That usually works for me. I also usually bring a two player game just in case and I drag along Masters of Commerce because one day someone will play that with me, and by someone I mean nine other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are prepared to teach it, you should be ok to bring it. I'd say the next variable is how much you can carry and how close you are to the place you will be gaming, as well as how long the meetup will run for. If you can get around easily with that many, more power to you, bring them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
mbsisktb wrote:

(oddly I have nothing with six).

Space Hulk and Elder Sign are both capable of handling six players. I even believe Elder Sign goes up to eight. Small World can handle six with the proper expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you happen to notice if the other gamers brought their own games?
I'll just mention that in our group most everyone brings a duffel bag full of games, and at most 1 extra game if it's one with a box that wouldn't otherwise fit in the bag. Hope that is of some use to you, good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted in a currently active thread, you probably shouldn't bring more games than you can keep an eye on. They might just grow legs and walk away.

Pete (is a suspicious bastard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring something along the line of snacks or refreshments to share with everyone. Good way to make a solid first impression in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a new group, I'd bring one or two. Presumably the group already has plans, you should be able to get in on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
mbsisktb wrote:

(oddly I have nothing with six).

Space Hulk and Elder Sign are both capable of handling six players. I even believe Elder Sign goes up to eight. Small World can handle six with the proper expansion.

I've played small world with six on the five player board base game only and it was no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the group is well established you can just turn up and see what's already there. If you see that nobody has some of your favourites you could ask around to see if anyone would like to play them next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One bag at the most. If you are dying to bring more you can always leave them in the car as long as the car interior will not reach 130 degrees. then if you find there are not enough games or that people are dying to play that one you left in the car you can always run out to get it.

We joke with one of our regulars as he walks in with one or two games he would like to play but if we say damn I wish you had brought so and so game he replies that no problem it's in my car.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.