Subject: Smoke to Fire with Open Door? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Player
United States
California
flag msg tools
Simple question, but it's driving me crazy for the family game:

If I put smoke down next to an an open door, and there is fire or smoke on the other side of the open door, does the smoke turn into fire?

I have read everything I could find on this site and the rules but everything seems to talk about closed doors (no flashover) or blown out doors (flashover).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If smoke is ever in a space next to a space containing fire, without there being either a wall (without two damage blocks on it) or a closed door between them, then the smoke should be turned to fire at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...you may sometimes shut a door for this reason (or to limit potential damage from an explosion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key passages in the base game rules are:
Quote:
Flashover – Flip any Smoke marker in a space Adjacent to Fire to Fire. Repeat this step as many times as you can – there should be no Smoke Adjacent to Fire at the end of a turn. Remember: Smoke Adjacent to Fire = Fire.

Under Secondary Effects on page 6.

And:
Quote:
Any reference in the game to Adjacent spaces means those spaces that are up, down, left, or right from a space. Diagonal spaces are not Adjacent. Closed Doors and Walls prevent spaces from being Adjacent – unless the Wall segment is Destroyed. A Wall segment with two Damage Markers is Destroyed. A Wall segment with one damage marker is Damaged.

Under Adjacent Spaces on page 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing with doors and fires:

Smoke flashing over to fire through a door does not destroy the door.

However, if an explosion's shockwave passes through an open door, the door is destroyed but the shockwave keeps moving.

I don't think I've ever had it come up, but it should be mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a firefighter is standing on a smoke marker adjacent to a closed door and on the other side of the door is a fire, can the firefighter open the door and extinguish the fire on the other side before flashover would turn the smoke to fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Flashovers happen as part of the Advance Fire phase, which is after the firefighter's actions are completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.