17 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: GenCon events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Human Being
msg tools
mb
Kind of surprised no one is talking about this yet, but with GenCon just a couple of weeks away, I'm curious how many people are planning to play and what they expect to see at these events.

I've been testing with friends and I can't beat the bloody Borg no matter what I throw at it. Is this 4-day event going to consist of Borg v. Borg matches that knock everyone else out of the tournament consistently?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
gooI'll be there. As far as I know the events won't really be competitive, no grand prize. I'll just be playing for fun myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another thread a bit ago:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16276888#16276888

The announced events at Gencon are a bit underwhelming. Details we know:
* Resources are allowed.
* No scenario play-- straight up head-to-head games.
* No terrain, played on 2x3 maps (players set up on 2' sides).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scruffy Looking Nerf-Herder
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I would love to go to gencon...oh so envious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules make it not very exciting, and the lack of prize information is not encouraging either. I'd rather save my money and head to the Regional events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carpenter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The lack of obstacles and the limited playing space mean that it'll be Star Trek: Borg Attack.

I hope that the sheer amount of Borg wins will hammer home the need to get rid of them for competitive play. I'm happy with them being a non-playable faction that the players have to work together to defeat. "Rogue borg"? C'mon.

I plan on playing Borg each time to show how stupid they are, will be taking pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Human Being
msg tools
mb
I agree the presence of the Borg have skewed the game. That said, we added at least 3 new players because of the Borg so I don't want to see them removed from the game. It would be more valuable to have a new designer who doesn't let his Borg fanboyism overrule his sense of fair design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cunningham
msg tools
What ever happened to Species 8472 being able to destroy the Borg at will? Talking about missing up a faction, they sure did that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangusbeerbelly wrote:
What ever happened to Species 8472 being able to destroy the Borg at will? Talking about missing up a faction, they sure did that!

Species could do that in the beginning, but once the Borg learned how to assimilate them and their technology, it was a much different story. As it is in the game, they are still immune to most of the borg abilities, which makes them incredibly powerful against them.

People complain about the borg being overpowered, but in all reality they are no where near as powerful as they should be. They have already been nerfed down so much it is sort of funny in an effort to plake them into a playable race. Imagine if they were at their cannon level of power and a single cube could wipe out 40 ships without taking enough damage to even slow it down like it did at Wolf 359.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
the rules make it not very exciting, and the lack of prize information is not encouraging either. I'd rather save my money and head to the Regional events.

If someone asked YOU the question of whether an expertly played Borg build could be beaten by any other faction, what would you say? If you had to play the Borg pure, would your answer change?

Liked your last State of the Federation. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
But back on topic... Since I am officially forbidden to take vacation in August I will only be there Saturday, and since I've already signed up for one of these events... The information is somewhat lacking, but whatever... 100 point fleet should be something I can easily stash and carry around. Concerned about the 100 point Borg DN, but mostly just looking forward to getting in a few games... Would be nice if WK were running something here with their prize support, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pchappel wrote:
But back on topic... Since I am officially forbidden to take vacation in August I will only be there Saturday, and since I've already signed up for one of these events... The information is somewhat lacking, but whatever... 100 point fleet should be something I can easily stash and carry around. Concerned about the 100 point Borg DN, but mostly just looking forward to getting in a few games... Would be nice if WK were running something here with their prize support, etc...

Borg "DN"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cassiel33 wrote:
pchappel wrote:

Borg "DN"?

Borg DN = Borg Dreadnaught
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped by the event today and they are running 3x3 by pushing two tables together. Still no scenario or terrain, though. I saw a lot of Tac Cub, Weyoun, Varel on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Humphreys
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
rtsuk wrote:
I stopped by the event today and they are running 3x3 by pushing two tables together. Still no scenario or terrain, though. I saw a lot of Tac Cub, Weyoun, Varel on the table.

I'm shocked by this revelation. Who would have imagined it?

Part of me is actually hoping that Gen Con highlights just how ridiculous the meta game will be if Borg/Power Combos aren't dealt with in some way.

As someone who, currently, mostly plays with friends and for fun, it's easy enough to house rule certain things or agree to not play certain cards.

Please keep us updated with what you see, though! It's fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:

*Yawn* Boring. Makes me sad for you lot over the pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
I wound up playing in one of them Saturday... No Borg single ship builds, but several players built to deal with that. Heck, I kind of did with a Fed build including Adm Kirk, etc... I went 2-1 and wound up with a Dr Bashir and Odo card, so all around a pretty successful run. More importantly, all of the guys I played against were were great and made it a lot of fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.