Bret Swanson
United States
North Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't think Nasir is really that good but he's too different to not try out. This deck began with the premise "What 3+ cost non-programs can I throw down turn 1 click 1 before face-checking something?" The idea being I either get a free access or (most of the time) recoup the cost of whatever I installed. XANADU! is perfect for this. Then as the deck took shape it became apparent it was very light on events. I don't want to Sure Gamble turn 1 and then face-check something and lose it all, and I don't expect to be consistently running with enough liquid credits to use later. Enter Donut Taganes, also good for turn 1 click 1 install! So it ended up being a bit of a medium-paced medium-rig deck with a splash of econ choke.

Notably missing:

SMC - pretty much never have enough credits after an ICE is rezzed to fetch something to beat it

Sharpshooter - Without SMC it's a long shot including only 1 copy and I didn't find the room for 2.

Sure Gamble - as noted above.

Notably questionable inclusions:

Diesel - rarely played with Donut and PC both out, really just there to dig for PC.

Modded - has shit synergy with both Donut and Workshop, I know. With Donut out it's still an Easy Mark though, counting the click saved for the install action, and there is a lot to pay for that can't all get workshopped, and you often end up plus cards with PC and Modded can mitigate that.

Snowball - Well, influence. I feel like I should probably lose one Donut for a Corroder, but again without SMC 1x is a long shot, so I decided to commit to the strain splash.

Crypsis - The third icebreaker of all types. Since the vast majority of ice does not have more strength than cost, assuming you have some recurring credits or Xanadu or both going you should be able to break whatever with this.

Pretty lightly tested and... hasn't done stellar. How would you make this better?

Created with anrdb.com deckbuilder

Identity:
Nasir Meidan

Total Cards: 45

Event (8)
3 Diesel
3 Modded
1 Stimhack
1 Test Run

Hardware (12)
3 Clone Chip
3 Omni-drive
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 R&D Interface
1 The Toolbox

Program (12)
3 Cloak
2 Crescentus
1 Crypsis
1 Cyber-Cypher
2 Dagger
1 Gordian Blade
2 Snowball

Resource (13)
3 Donut Taganes ■■
1 Kati Jones
3 Personal Workshop
3 Professional Contacts
3 Xanadu ■■

Influence Totals (15 out of faction):
  Anarch: 7
  Criminal: 2
  Shaper: 76
  Neutral: 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You need to consider that typically ICE is only going to get rezzed (and therefore credit-swap you) once each. So that Crypsis, while fine for the run where the ICE first gets rezzed, is going to eat your creds on future runs.

I can't say I've tested with Nasir, but my first plan for him included Xanadu and Rook, and/or a lot of recurring credits for Icebreaking (Cyberfeeders/Toolbox).

Despite people arguing otherwise, I actually think Nasir can use Social Engineering just fine, provided you pack a Workshop or the breakers which retain strength for a run (Gordian, Pipeline, Battering Ram). The trick is to Social Engineer, then if they rez, you gain creds, dump into breaker strength, then gain the creds again.

If you're using Omni-drive, consider Battering Ram for the MU saving as well as the recurring cred.

Not sure that Donut is right for Nasir, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I play with Nasir I either run into Amazon Industrial Zone or end up playing rigcraft while they score things behind Ice wall/quandary/whatever.

I really don't know what would make Nasir awesome yet.

I've tried the Donut thing, along with a Hostage package (because I'd rather spend influence getting more than just 3 donuts) that can pick out The Source when needed, also kati, fall guys (to go with source). It's a good combo but it doesn't really help. Econ is really bad when you're relying on recurring and kati alone.

I hate playing rigcraft :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
I think all the "notable missing" cards are still viable and necessary in a nasir deck. Bear in mind that you dont have to run every turn with nasir. There are several turns in which you can burst money, install necessary cards and by doing that dumping your money to zero and then run the servers. So in these install turns SMC is still a strong card and if you run cyberfeeder you still can use it to install viruses during runs like parasites.

Btw. having money stockpiled while running you still have an action after rezzing and before encountering the ICE. So you can use SMC to tutor a necessary breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use SMC in the approach phase

Quote:
2. The Runner approaches the outermost piece of ice not already approached on the attacked server.

2.1 Paid abilities can be triggered.

2.2 The Runner decides whether to continue the run.

...Either the Runner jacks out: go to [6] (cannot jack out if this is the first ice approached this run)

...Or the Runner continues the run: go to [2.3]

2.3 Approached ice can be rezzed, Paid abilities can be triggered, Non-ice cards can be rezzed (in any order).

2.4 Players check to see if the approached ice is rezzed.

If the approached ice is rezzed, go to [3]. If the approached ice is unrezzed, the Runner passes it: go to [2] if there is another piece of ice protecting the server, go to [4] if there is not another piece of ice protecting the server.

So in step 2.3, runner does not spend any paid abilities. Corp then chooses to rez their ice. Now, prior to the encounter runner can now spend paid abilities (such as SMC, pumping icebreakers that have strength until ETR, etc) which would all be good ways for Nasir to dump credits in a beneficial way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Swanson
United States
North Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks for the clarifying reminder on the timing there. It's been a little while and I was building under the misunderstanding that the active player does everything they want to, then the other player does everything they want to, then you're done. So probably scrapping a lot of this.

I'll continue to consider Rook, but I don't think full on credit denial is the way to go with Nasir. Or more accurately, I think if you want to build full on credit denial there are other IDs that do it better. It might be as good or better than Xanadu, though, since even face-checking a Destroyer with it is probably worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.