Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
In the rule of Exxtra about removing opponent's dice, there is a following sentence at the end of the section (right before the example 3) in English translation.

Quote:
No dice are removed if the player places a lower combination on any rung.

I believe that this sentence corresponds to the following original German rule.

Quote:
Legt ein Spieler sein Würfelpaar auf ein Würfelfeld innerhalb eines von einem anderen Spieler belegten Würfelfeldes und seine Würfelkombination ist niedriger, dann bleiben alle Würfelpaare liegen.

One of my friend said that the high number dice protects the low number dice around it. For example, suppose you have the following situation.

(5) 62
(4) 73
(3)
(2) 75
(1)
(0)

If you place your "65" on rung (3), I thought "62" on (5) is removed while "73" on (4). However, my Japanese friend claims that since there is a higher number "73", no dice are removed, i.e., "73" protects "62" above it. Likewise, if you place "74" on (1), no dice are removed because "75" on (2) is higher.

Japanese rule even mention this with example but I cannot find this "protecting" rule in English rule books (in both Exxtra and Excape).

I only read English and Japanese. So I would like to know the correct interpretation from German rule set. I appreciate any help of native German speakers.

Thanks,

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of anyone playing that way.

Sorry, I can't help you with the German version of "Exxtra"... I only have "Excape" which only includes rules in English and French, but both are very clear that you remove all dice that are in a higher position on the ladder than your dice that have an equal or lower number than yours. No dice ever "protect" other dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you for your comment.

I have never played that ("protecting") way either!
I thought the English rule is quite clear but my friend told me that original German rule can be interpreted in two ways!

So I thought it is best to ask native German speaker about it.

Also, the last sentence in the English rule of Exxtra below "could" support my friend's (and Japanese rule set) opinion because this sentence seems unnecessary otherwise.

Quote:
Removing Opponent’s Dice
When placing his dice on a rung, the playing compares his combination with each combination on the higher rungs. Dice combinations on higher rungs that are equal to or lower than the player’s combination are removed and returned to their respective players. The placement of one pair of dice may cause several other pairs to be removed. No dice are removed if the player places a lower combination on any rung.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how that last sentence could support what he is saying, in any way. All it is saying is that lower combinations don't affect higher combinations, no matter where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I agree with you. So I have to wait for native Germans to answer this question. My friend and Publisher in Japan directly translates rules from German to Japanese. So maybe there is something in the original German sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.