1 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Sessions

Subject: End-of-workweek session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
flag msg tools
Got in a nice end-of-the-workweek session today, with Rick and Ben. It was Ben's choice, and he picked Power Grid.

In the opening, I was furthest west; I underrated how much of a disadvantage this was, having to spend more to connect my cities. From the looks of it, I was in pretty good shape, with Rick and Ben crowding each other more than either was crowding me.

We jostled for starting bidding position back and forth. I was the first to connect to two cities, but thereafter there was no pattern. Ben was the first to connect to three, and we kept exchanging the turn order back and forth as tactics warranted.

Our game was peculiarly short of coal, whereas garbage was in plentiful supply. This hurt me in the middle game, when I needed coal to power up my plants, but the coal resources ran dry before I could buy.

Later on, Ben took an action that benefited me, passing up an auction in order to prevent a good plant from coming up for Rick. I had already picked up a good power plant that turn.

I played fairly efficiently throughout, with one obvious exception; after getting nailed with an inoperative coal plant, I chucked it to buy another 5-city-powering plant. You really can't afford to give up on one five-city power plant like that in this game, but I had no choice.

In the end, Ben was the one who got repeatedly nailed, as both Rick and I made sure he didn't have enough coal to fire his plants late in the game.

This left Rick as the sole person who was never really screwed over, so naturally he won.

Final scores:

Rick 17 cities powered
Chuck 15 cities powered
Ben 17 cities connected, but only 12 powered
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.