Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest August 2014
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also

Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb

donated 100 (!!!)

and

N/A

donated something like 250 (and counting).

Applause!!!

I still have to figure out, how all of this is going to be distributed.

Last month has been very hot - so a refreshment has been necessary quite a couple of times. And I chose: Coca Cola
While Coca Cola is a brand falling under copyright, Cola per se is not!

So this month's requirement is:

Cola

And as always:

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.: A sidenote:
In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

If you could please do me a favour and present your game along with a short description in your posting. That would make some geeklist entries easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo... Cola... I might be able to do this. I drink a lot of artisan soda. And I love the old-fashioned soda recipes.

Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, these themes are really tough. It's hard to get a lot of people to participate when the theme is so specific. I first thought it was hydration, which is a little more forgiving. I don't drink carbonation, so maybe I have to do an anti coke game. I did watch Elf yesterday where he chugged a 2 liter bottle of coke in one gulp, maybe something where too many cokes make you explode. And thanks to everyone donating to this contest, you are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cola. Hmmm. How about Diet Dr Pepper? Vernor's Ginger Ale? Hansen's Kale Cane Soda?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Pepsi just put on a free Phillip Phillips concert at my local farmers' market, not 100 yards from my work. Not to be outdone (that bad), Coke sent dozens of employees with free Coke carts and had them hand them out to them. It gave me an idea for a game based on that concept. The Pepsi Response Team or something. I won't be participating (24 hour contest is too much for me) but I thought I'd share the idea. Also, 10 GG for whoever does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I skipped last month's contest because I couldn't work the mechanics out for a soccer game but I'm all in for this month's. I know Cola is the theme but would using soda as the theme with the reference to cola be acceptable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
I skipped last month's contest because I couldn't work the mechanics out for a soccer game but I'm all in for this month's. I know Cola is the theme but would using soda as the theme with the reference to cola be acceptable?

Yeah. As long it's there somewhere, it doesn't need to be the main theme, I believe. In some places they call cola soda. Even if your theme was helicopter racing and one of the helicopters were sponsored by a cola company, that would be enough, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be picky, not all soda is cola - as cola is a specifically: a carbonated soft drink containing an extract made from kola nuts, together with sweeteners and other flavorings.

There are places in the US that us Coke in place of soda (mainly in the south), or pop in place of soda (mainly in the midwest), or tonic in place of soda (mainly in New England). But as far as I know, no one just uses cola.

Of course, this is neither here or there about whether soda can be used in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
disom wrote:

Yeah. As long it's there somewhere, it doesn't need to be the main theme, I believe. In some places they call cola soda. Even if your theme was helicopter racing and one of the helicopters were sponsored by a cola company, that would be enough, I think.

This!

Thanks and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll get this party started with:

Designed by Daniel Isom

2 to 6 Players | 15 to 25 Minutes Per Game

Summary: Colaville is the soft drink capital of the world where the soda fountains never run dry. Drug stores have popped up all over town, serving up endless varieties of tasty concoctions. In this “take that” style game, players take the role of a Soda Jerk at one of these drug stores where they will try to make as much money as they can by bringing in customers who want what they have while sending soda and customers to other players to try and cost them money. Stealing customers and soda will help but a fire could strike at any time, forcing a player to start from scratch.

Components:
81 Cards
A way to track scores (Not Included)

Game Files:
Soda Jerk Rules
Soda Jerks Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well, start the clock I guess! I think I have an idea and it sounds like it should not be doable in 24h, so this is going to be interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Daniel for already finishing a game!

And good luck Nicholas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, so I had less time yesterday than expected so that I could only start working on this today. I tried to go for my really lofty worker placement idea in this cola manufacturing plant, but I didn't have time to finish all the cards for it to be playable, never-mind test it properly. cry

So I stole some of the art assets I had worked on and made this in a few hours. I'm not too happy with it but I'm happy with myself for finally doing one of these challenges! So I'm celebrating anyways!

3 to 5 Players | 15 to 35 minutes

Components: A bunch of 6

Sad Game Board

Hastily Written Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a game in about 2.5 hours, called Soda Wars, a Refreshing Game.

In it, you are an independent soda manufacture placing cases of product into independent convenience stores, each with very limited shelf space. An abstracted two-card mechanic determines the total number of cases sold from each store, in which points are scored.

Unsold product becomes stale and if not sold the second time around (for half points), becomes a penalty, so plan carefully!

Now I just need to figure out how to upload the two PDF files...

(Edit: hmm... I'm out of time for today. I'll need to research this next Monday when I'm back in the office. I couldn't find anything to tell me how to upload to BGG. Perhaps I need to create a Google Drive account or something. All new stuff to this old dog! If anyone wants to give me useful direction via private mail, I'd appreciate it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't upload files to BGG unless your game is in the database already. Most of us use Google drive, Dropbox or have space on their own websites where they can host and share files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I figured it all out...

Soda Wars, a Refreshing Game
2-6 players; components: Printed cards and about 50 tokens per player (coins, wooden cubes, etc - just as long as each player's tokens are recgonizable.)

Components

Rules

(edit): There... looks like I got it straightened out, though the preview seems kind of wonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone

Voting list is online:

24 hour contest - August 2014

130 are in the prize pot - make sure to advertise your game and to bring folks to vote for it

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go people who had time to complete something!

Sadly, I didn't... but I do have a soda game idea I might make in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still working on mine. i will be done in about 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

kók
The Icelandic Cola Game

Icelad sells more Cola per capita than anywhere in the world. Be the first person to guess what amount of cola your friend has drank and in what order they drank it. First player to guess correctly wins.

2 Players
5-10 minutes
10+

Setup
Shuffle the cards. Deal one card to each player.
The cards are double sided. Keep the face down card
a secret in your hand, it is ok to show the back.
Put 3 cards out on the table.

Play
The dealer goes first and picks a card from the table. The other player also picks one. There will be one card left over which slides to the bottom of the pile. That is round 1. There will be 4 rounds. This is a guessing game. You are setting up your hand for the other person to guess your exact cards are including the order.

When each player has 5 cards it is time to guess. The other player gueses first. This includes the correct order. Ex. 14341. The dealer answers by saying how many numbers are correct ansd how many are in the correct order. It is a little like mastermind. During the game you may not mix up the order of the cards.

After each player guesses, the 5th card (the card on your right)is discarded and placed secret side up in front of each player. Draw and place 3 cards on the table from the pile like in the biginnig of the game. The dealer goes first and picks, the the other player. The other card goes under the pile. the other player guesses, then the dealer guesses. If no one is correct, continue and discard your another card from the right end of your hand. At this point there should be 4 cards in each person’s hand and 2 in front of them. That leaves 3 cards in the pile. That is enough for one more round of drawing and guessing.

If no one is correct you continue guessing back and forth till you have a winner

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikno9izitct36nk/kok%20card%20game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please add my entry to the geek list. I did make it before the deadline. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed: August 31st - 10:36 Central European Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.