Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Need help designing Campaign! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Crofts III
msg tools
I am designing a campaign using the Descent Quest Vault. Unfortunately, my group of friends, for which I'm designing the campaign for, own the game and live quite a distance away. So I do not actually have my hands on any of the quest books. What I was wondering was, how many experience points does the Overlord typically get throughout an entire campaign? How many given for free and how many due to winning all of the Quests?

I have found that typically the heroes receive about 15 XP total if they win every quest. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help,
- Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Liston
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
Heroes Usually receive 8 exp from playing Quest and 1 maybe 2 quests offer an additional exp to the heroes. Most of the time the reward for winning for the heroes is Gold, Usually 50 to 100.

The overlord will get 8 exp from quests plus usually 1 exp from winning a quest or an Overlord card(from the expansions). The quests that offer the heroes additional exp tend to reward the overlord with 2 additional exp.

There tends to be no additional Gold or EXP rewards for quests that reward Relics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespino Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes and overlord will always have 8 XP going into the finale, because they get 1XP for each of the 8 quests they must play.

In The Shadow Rune heroes can earn a maximum of 3 additional XP and overlord can earn a maximum of 9 additional XP.

In Labyrinth of Ruin heroes cannot earn additional XP and overlord can earn a maximum of 8 additional XP (inc. 1 from the Sun's Stone).

In Shadow of Nerekhall heroes can earn a maximum of 1 additional XP and overlord can earn a maximum of 3 additional XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crofts III
msg tools
Hey! Thank you both very much for your quick responses! I was waaay off. My campaign only consists of eight quests so I was rewarding tons of XP (Too much. Average of 2 XP per Quest, that's 16 XP if the heroes won every quest!) I'll have to cut back a lot. My mistake was counting up how much XP it took to buy ALL of a hero's skill cards. Now in retrospect, I've never been able to buy all of the skills during a campaign.
I'm now in the final stages of my campaign and wanted to ensure the XP rewards were at least balanced . Once everything is perfect I'll publish them all in the vault all at once. Keep an eye out for it. "The Good, the Bad, and the Undead"

Thanks again,
-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespinito wrote:
In Shadow of Nerekhall heroes can earn a maximum of 1 additional XP and overlord can earn a maximum of 3 additional XP.

Note that this requires a specific set of quests to be played and won by the OL. I worked it out once, and unless I made a mistake somewhere the overlord has to win Respected Citizen and Rat-Thing King (for the Shadow Plotter) in Act I, win the Interlude, and win Arise My Friends and Into the Dark (which you can get an extra XP from only if you already have the Shadow Plotter) in Act II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jcrofts1 wrote:
I have found that typically the heroes receive about 15 XP total if they win every quest. Is that correct?

15 XP would be enough for every hero to buy every skill by the end of the campaign. This is not right.

In The Shadow Rune, it is possible for the heroes to end up with 12 XP, if the right quests are played, Rumors are used, and the heroes win all of them. Generally, you don't see more than 8-9 XP for heroes, and 8-10 XP for Overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.