Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week we had a little argument about the die roll modifiers. Would a natural 6 always score a hit even if the die modifier would be +1 (like a moral check always fails on a 6 even with the modifiers)? If not... cavalry is useless against towns/woods and artillery needs to be adjacent to hit units on a hill/forest/town making them easy targets for assaults unless some other units join and take the hits.
I understand that cavalry in wood/town would be almost useless but artillery looks to be a bit underpowered (no expert though)

We argued that when a natural 6 would always mean a hit, it is to powerfull but on the other side we found that units in cover are to much protected. We agreed to use the modifiers to determine how much dice are rolled and see how it goes.

Example:
artillery versus target in a town hex
range 1: hits on 5-6 but only 2 dice
range 2: hits on 6 but only 2 dive
range 3: no dice at all

After playing a few scenarios (Kolin,Liegnitz and Chotusitz), we were surpirsed with the results. It seems to work just fine. Anyone tried this before and had similar or opposite results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well that would seriously alter our games. We've always played the other way, that it's impossible for an infantry unit to hit an enemy in protective terrain at a range of 2 hexes for example.

If a six always hits, then protective terrain isn't protective at all in many cases, since a 6 would be the only way for an infantry unit to hit someone 2 spaces away anyway.

I think we may just stick with our interpretation but its good to know the "official" rules.

Pax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thoroughly embarrassed that I wrote that. A six does not always hit. I was thinking of Across Four Oceans. Basically, I spent all day doing final edits to my book (which is now suddenly due this Friday) and took a break at about 2am. Not a good idea it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, if a 6 always hits... there is no benefit in protective terrain. On the other hand... my friend argued that units in protective terrain are to well protected (he did make some good points).

During this era units would probably deploy at the edge of the forest so that they still could fire en mass. They would have some protection but would still take some casualties when receiving fire.

There is no metion that a 6 always hits Sean. My friend just got fustraded as he wasn't able to take a wood hex that was fortified by my artillery and elite infantry.
We decided to try another approach and reduce the die instead of the to hit number. Hence infantry could still not hit a target in cover from a distance of 2 hexes but artillery would have still 2 dice. Their firepower is reduced but they can still target those units although not with the same succes rate as units that were in the open.

In our 3 games we played, it worked fine. So I posted this here to hear other people their opinion about this subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taking an enemy position in protected terrain is a tough nut to crack. Basically, you've got to take your lumps as you close the distance and then give them the cold steel (close assault). Having a supporting artillery that can try to soften them up is always nice, but not always available. Wise use of leaders for rallying reduced units is also essential to keeping an offensive going.

Pax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.