7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Pathfinder card game-Should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glutton Idiocy
England
flag msg tools
Hope I've put this in the right place. This is my first post here, and I'm feeling a tad lost.

So, I've come into some money, and I'm thinking of getting this. I've never played pathfinder, or any deck building games for that matter. The promise of RPG adventure does appeal to me.

-How easy to get into is it? I'm not a complete idiot, but honestly, I'm having trouble even understanding the reviews properly, especially a lot of them reference the pathfinder tabletop which I've never played, and I'm still fairly new to tabletop/board/card/whatever you'd call it games.

-How much space do you need? I struggle with this. I just managed to get enough space cleared in my room for firefly: The board game with two players, maybe three at tops. Whilst it was a real good motivator to tidy a bit, it'd suck to sink 50 quid into something I don't have the space for at all.

-How necessary is it to get expansion packs? Not that I'm adverse to getting them, but I haven't really seen them anywhere. Being in the UK and not fond of buying online, my options are limited.

-How good/varied is it for single player? I find it a lot easier to justify the cost of these kinds of things when I can only really play it on the admittedly rare occasion that I can get friends organised to play with.

In the event that you think I shouldn't get it, I was also thinking about the lord of the rings card game or The Walking dead: The best defence although I'm a little wary that it might just be a cynical cash grab. Tabletop/board games have those, right? I wonder what the board game/tabletop EA is...probably games workshop. Thanks and sorry if I got anything wrong or sounded like an idiot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

-How easy is it to get into? It really depends. The rules are simple (flip over a card, attempt the skill check listed on the card), but it is one of those games where most of the rules are on the cards themselves. You will be reading the cards a LOT for the first few games, until you figure out that "Oh, this is how weapons usually work," or "This is how armor usually works." If you've ever played Magic: The Gathering, it's exactly like that. If you don't have a problem with reading a lot of card text, the game is very easy to get into.

-How much space to you need? It depends on the number of players. A 1-character solo game takes up about as much space as a large textbook. A 2- or 3-player game takes up about as much space as the game box itself. A 6-player game can be very space-consuming.

-How necessary is it to get expansions? I would say "Very necessary." The concept of the game is that you buy a core set, which gives you the first adventure in a 6-adventure campaign. Then, you buy each of the expansions in order to play through the full campaign. If you think you may have trouble finding them, I suggest going to paizo.com and subscribing to the card game--they will automatically send you every core set and expansion released for the game, starting from the next release, the Skull & Shackles core set. Plus, you get a cool promo with every order.

-How good is single player? Mechanically, it is about as good as multiplayer. The main difference is that, with fewer players, the timer is less of a factor and actually dying is more of a factor. However, it's pretty much the same game. Now, it's my opinion that the ONLY reason to play this game is if you really get into the storytelling aspect of it, narrating each encounter as you deal with them, and that is a LOT more fun with more people, but that's another question.

Overall opinion: for a solitaire game, I think Lord of the Rings: LCG is a lot better.The expansions add more variety, they are less necessary to buy, and it is just more interesting mechanically. However, Pathfinder is a lot easier to learn and is arguably better as a multiplayer game, especially because it supports 3-4 players without any need to buy an extra core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glutton Idiocy
England
flag msg tools
Sounds like I'd be able to get into it just fine, space should be fine (The board for firefly is bigger than the pathfinder box, and that's not even counting the cards and ship/crew space) and single player sounds fine. The expansions would be problematic. I'm very paranoid when it comes to using my bank details online, so if I couldn't find anywhere that stocks the expansions locally, I'd be pretty stuck. How easy to get into is LOTR the card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get better responses by posting in the game forums:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

For this or any other game, enter the game name in the search field at the top. Welcome to the hobby and enjoy. I agree that PACG is better as an ongoing campaign (modeling an RPG), but I have been enjoying it as a series of one-off scenarios. For advanced scenarios, i simply give each character the added stats/goodies they would have earned up to that point and go to town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glutton Idiocy
England
flag msg tools
Thanks. Would it be okay to copy paste the questions over to there, or should I wait for the mods to move it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glutton4idiocy wrote:
How easy to get into is LOTR the card game?

It's a little more complicated than Pathfinder, but not too tough. You will probably want SOME expansions for it as well, because the core set only has 3 scenarios, but you don't need to be a completist about getting all of them. Have you seen any of the big expansions for LOTR in stores? Those are really good investments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR LCG I think does a much better "RPG" experience than Pathfinder Card Game, and I would also add I think a better game. Pathfinder the adventure card game is less "adventure" and more game mechanically, LOTR LCG tells a better story, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.