Subject: Would you buy Star Trek or Mechwarrior Dice Masters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking back at some of the larger licences produced by Wizkids over the years, I am left wondering if we will ever see something more err "robust" than Yugioh make it to the world of tiny cube battles.

Sure there is Dungeons and Dragons, but how many of the icons there will be simple ports of those already used in Quarriors?

And if THATS the case, why not just buy Quarriors?

The sci fi themes of both the Star Trek and Mechwarrior licences have the potential to take Dice Masters into a futuristic landscape filled with interplanetary battles on a grand scale...

But would you buy into such ventures?

I would...

The thought of Borg cubes that ARE little cubes makes me smile and tearing apart boosters to gather a platoon of Mad Cats or find that all important chase Atlas die, really does interest me.

With Marvel Dice Masters I think the Dice Masters system has established that it certainly can be a fantastic collectable... But will it boldly go where no one has gone before?

EDIT,
Just to be clear... This thread is purely a speculation, a wish, NO such themed sets have even been hinted at by Wizkids.
The idea of their creation, is merely me "wishing outloud".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time fan of Battletech I would absolutely devour a battletech/mechwarrior licensed dicemasters product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
As a long time fan of Battletech I would absolutely devour a battletech/mechwarrior licensed dicemasters product.

I know right? It would be awesome! There is SO much you could do with it including maybe splitting up the "attack zone" into different theatres of war like "open plains", "city streets" and "contested skies" that would grant buffs to certain unit types and diversify deck construction.

Mechwarrior is more than just giant Mechs after all, there are heroic commanders, Mech hunter tanks, flyers of all different kinds, legions of men in power armour, missile strikes, artillery, the list goes on.

Sadly, I fear it's is just a dream... Not everyone loves war torn future landscapes and who knows if Wizkids even still own any rights to such a thing anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be MUCH more likely to buy Battletech Dice Masters than Star Trek Dice Masters.

Not sure if I would buy them over more Superhero stuff though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I would be MUCH more likely to buy Battletech Dice Masters than Star Trek Dice Masters.

Not sure if I would buy them over more Superhero stuff though.

I know what you mean.
Star Trek has sorta been "done to death", but there is no light or casual format for Mechwarrior/Battletech in the current market and I think Dice Masters would be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely mechwarrior universe, but not star trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy into all the Dice Masters games but of all the possible Dice Masters games them going Star Trek just doesn't fit with the others that we know of so far.

All the ones we know to have so far are games that have dice representing individual people and with all of them representing that it's quite easy to mix and match and mash them all together but these properties couldn't be that easily blended together like that from a thematic stand point.

Of these two I'd want a MechWarrior Dice Masters over Star Trek. They are using Star Trek in a bunch of other games... Dice Masters doesn't need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Nope.

Yeah..nope..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
The theme isn't what makes Dice Masters for me. I think its a legit game and would play it even if it didn't have a theme at all. I even plan on playing D&D Dice Masters and I straight up hate that style of fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a guy who likes his Kirks and Picards, I'd honestly say no. Superheroes and DnD characters fight. Star Trek officers explore and have political discussions. I don't think the two mesh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mechwarrior..omg. Better give the bank details to my wife to lock away if that ever happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MechWarrior could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely buy one of them. Don't know which yet; I love both whole-heartedly, but could only really afford to get into one of them. I love Marvel, don't really like anything DC beyond Batman, and am bored of both D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Now if they were to announce Shadowrun, Mega Man, or even Masters of the Universe, I'd sell a kidney and buy like mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechwarrior would be really cool. Tons of mechs with different configurations. Would fit the mechanic very well.

As someone already mentioned, Masters of the Universe would make a killer game. Also GI Joe, I would buy the hell out of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
Mechwarrior would be really cool. Tons of mechs with different configurations. Would fit the mechanic very well.

As someone already mentioned, Masters of the Universe would make a killer game. Also GI Joe, I would buy the hell out of that.

Hell yeah!
Masters of the universe, or GI Joe, I too would buy the hell of that.
What if a Masters of the Universe set came in a Castle Greyskull tin!!! Oh, I would die for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Weakland
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I loved the mechwarrior games and think dice master could work. Not sure Star Trek would work for the reasons jay reigns says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Traweek
United States
Weatherford
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would definitely buy a MechWarrior dice masters. In fact I would say I would prefer that license to almost anything else they could use (realistically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Star Trek but I would never buy a MDM version of it. I dont think Mechwarrior fits the theme at all either. We are complaining enough about the dice faces that Mechs just wont tranfers well onto the dice. I used to attempt to play Dragon Dice and even if they redone that I would not buy into it. The D&D set wont get my money and neither will the Yugioh dice. These are franchises that I dont see translating well into MDM.

G.I.Joe or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the other hand would suck money out of me like a vacuum.

Edited because apparently efven is a word my spell check recognised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GI Joe seems to be a strong favourite and let's face it, there is a massive library of fantastic characters in that universe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, after Uncanny, I'm not buying anything else until a DC release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. M
Portugal
Porto
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyslexicDan wrote:
(...) If the energy types change between sets then we’ll have a good idea of how this game will progress in the future.

+1 on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
As a guy who likes his Kirks and Picards, I'd honestly say no. Superheroes and DnD characters fight. Star Trek officers explore and have political discussions. I don't think the two mesh well.

I posted this a long time ago, but my vision of Star Trek Dice Masters is like this:

You could have different variants of the ships duking it out

Huge variety owing to Many different factions, Mirror Universe variants, different names for the same class of ship representing different rarities (Defiant, Sao Paolo, subtitles for the Defiant class etc.)

The Action cards could be Photon Torpedos, Quantum Torpedos, Shield Emitters, etc. and include different Captains/crew.

Fielding several copies of ships now makes thematic sense compared to the base Marvel game, as you're now participating in a fleet battle with numerous ships. Why are Fed ships fighting against Fed ships? Explain it away as some mirror universe offshoot plot.

Not many games can adapt the politicking/exploration aspect well, and we already have Fleet Captains for that slot. Combat is absolutely part of the Star Trek. Star Trek would be excellent retheming on top of this Dice Masters engine.

It can work WONDERFULLY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Battletech would be awesome. Each card/Die represents a component region on your mech with variations in the cards to cover different pieces of hardware, engines, systems, and installed weapons. Utilize your dice to combat your opponent(s). You could well do teams this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.