Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I'd like to say that I'm loving this game. It's exceptionally engrossing, the mechanics are tight, and it's fun!

All that being said, I wonder about some things. I'm starting to question the viability of the game length. Just today, I put in about 3 hours, only to finish 40% of the first scenario. (One explorer in play; died twice.)

Also, I'm finding the game quite difficult. After I started using doors, I started living longer. Also, I'm playing 0 as zero, which helps quite a bit. Still, I didn't feel like I had any real push-back until I got a couple of level 2 treasures.

What is everyone else's experiences related to length and difficulty? I'm really curious how long a full scenario should run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean scenario or chapter?

The early chapters could be finished in 20-40 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
Do you mean scenario or chapter?

The early chapters could be finished in 20-40 minutes.

I'm referring to the entirety of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
I played the first scenario (complete) with two friends last week, took us nearly 4 hours. I was the only one who died, pretty much right at the start, though more or less by design, drawing two monsters to me and killing all of us with an exploding barrel, since I didn't have any weapons at all and the others weren't that good equiped, too.
We did play the easy version though, with 0 counting as 0 instead of ten, too.

The first chapters took as a whole lot longer then the last couple of them and after not having to go over the rules anymore and having good gear, the speed of play increased quite a bit. We managed to kill monsters usually right after they spawned and moved closer to us and seal the monster spawns.
Endgame was fairly easy since we managed to seal two of the three monster spawns in the second round whith the first cultist killed, too.

And yes, the game can be very difficult, specially right at the start without good gear. But usually there's always some way to use a trap space to kill a monster or push it into a hole or something like that, even if it means you end up taking damage, too. And yes, doors help a lot, in my first solo games I never used them and was quickly and brutally killed, even on very easy mode while not adjusting the sliders for the monster spawn when not rolling less than the number indicated there.
So surviving does get easier with practice and it plays faster. Will try scenario one again today with two explorers and then start on the second one next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have the same concerns. I am really enjoying the game and a lot of people seem to enjoy it as well.

I have played a total of 4 games, in order. I was the only consistent person in all of the games.
1: by myself with 2 characters-- made it to chapter 3, no one died. 3 hours Easy Mode w/0 as 0
2: 2 people, made it to chapter 4 -- 2 hours, 1 character died Easy Mode w/ 0 as 0
3: 4 people, 2 characters died, and one person quit to go play another game. Made it to chapter 6. 2 Hours Easy Mode w/ 0 as 0
4: 4 people, 3 characters died, made it to chapter 4, 3 hours. Normal Mode w/ 0 as 10

So, if you can get good level 1 treasures: pneumatic hammer, armors, you can beat the level one monsters pretty easily as well not take too much damage. Level 2s are still pretty easy as well. It's important to get level 2 treasure before you hit level 3 monsters. If you don't, you're pretty screwed. Some thing i found to help as well is if the weapon or item isn't really good, don't try to save it thinking well it's not bad. Just destroy it. That way when the level 2 treasures come, the deck will be a lot more level 2's than level 1's.

TL/DR: Difficulty is good. Solid tactics makes it easier. Definitely a long game. 3 people seems to be an ideal number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a game today with three explorers. It seems a touch easier thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauwel B
Belgium
flag msg tools
I think I found a tipping point in game difficulty while playing by myself with two explorers; easy mode; 0 as 10. They got lots of treasure, including good weapons right from the start. After monsters hit level 2, I managed to keep the treat level under control and entered the endgame with monsters still at level 2. This meant during the endgame I was hit only once and killed the monsters without breaking sweat.
It took a little over 5 hours.

I wonder how the difficulty scales with the number of explorers. Less explorers face more horror and monster movement phases, but have a much higher density of treasure and essence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An issue I'm having is dying a BUNCH. Perhaps I'm not running as much as I should? I can't quite wrap my head around the explorers being so expendable.

I'm wondering how often ya'll choose to run and/or use the scrolling technique to banish monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schw Ix
msg tools
- Don't fight Monsters you have no chance against (Armor, Weapon)
- Try to get eqiup instead.
- Reduce Essence instead of Health. Way easier to restore.
- Try to seal at least one monster spawn as early as possible
- Advance in Chapters quick until you have at least reached Item Level 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schwix wrote:
- Don't fight Monsters you have no chance against (Armor, Weapon)
- Try to get eqiup instead.
- Reduce Essence instead of Health. Way easier to restore.
- Try to seal at least one monster spawn as early as possible
- Advance in Chapters quick until you have at least reached Item Level 2

Good suggestions, thanks. I do all of these regularly except seal spawns. I'll make that a priority next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do not play on easy mode.

First scneario took us 10 hours.

Half of the second scenario took us 7 hours.

Yes, it is a long game but I love every single minute of it. One of the best and most surprising games this year so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.