Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playtesting Festung Europa: The Campaign for Western Europe, 1943-1945.

It is a card driven game (OPS/Events-based) that follows the linage of Paths of Glory, meaning you spend OPS points to place attack and movement markers.

It is actually the next evolution in the system: in this game, you don't have restrictions on playing 1 reinforcement card per turn; 1 replacement points card every other turn, 1 Redeploy card every other turn card. The Reserves boxes are also connected to the map, so you can spend OPS points to move units out of them on to the board. Instead of distributing step loss points, you distribute step losses. And while you do replace a destroyed corps with a division in the reserve box, if you don't have the division in the reserve, your corps is not automatically destroyed.

As a result of this, the rules are a lot easier because they don't have all of those fiddly exceptions.

The game covers the western theater of WWII from 1943-45, beginning with either Operation Husky (Invasion of Sicily) or Operation Round Up (Norway or Calais).

I have had a lot of fun playing with it, but the designer is looking for more play testers. There is a Vassal module for it. It has been floating around for years. I took a look at it in June and started messing with it, making improvements to it. When the game is published, I'll gut it and make more. Right now, the goal was to have something working.

There is also a Cyberbox module for it, but I don't have access to it. I can point you in the direction if that is your preference.

If interested, give a holler. I never thought World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin did justice to North Africa or the Western Front and was way too scripted, but it did do a good job with the Eastern Front. Shifting Sands did that justice for North Africa. It is by the same designer as Festung Europa, and is one of my top 10 games of all-time. Now this game takes care of the glaring need for a good CDG on the western front, and best of all, it is one of the easier CDGs I have come across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, sound right up my alley. I'll ping the designer as well for the rules unless you have them. I'll PM you an email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed on 'Shifting Sands' - great fun game. Would be very interested in trying this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like some of that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in too. Can't promise anything as the first of my final exams are around the corner but one or more less probably can't hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we got our hands on it : Anybody up for a play session ?

Edit for clarification : Live play via Skype strongly preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
derblaueClaus wrote:
Now that we got our hands on it : Anybody up for a play session ?

GM sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in for playtesting, but it does sound like the game might interest me. I'll follow it and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also do Vassal and Skype or Ventrilo Eastern time zone some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really need to get into Vassal because this sounds like a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.