Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and tried to play it with a bunch of people who had never played it before.

I think we did well, the only clear mistake I identified was that I used some of the advanced villain effects in the first round (we played basic game).

I'm just trying to work out why there are stages on the shadow track.

I know the red numbers signify "darkness" (though I'm not sure what game effect this have, I assume some cards refer to it).

I know if it reaches 0, the game is over and everyone loses.

I know in a coop game at each stage the villain gains wounds as he gets stronger.

I know that lair costs change at each stage.

MY QUESTION:
In a basic, competitive game, is there any other significance to the stages (white lines) on the shadow track other than lair cost?

What is the significance of being in the red numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
MY QUESTION:
In a basic, competitive game, is there any other significance to the stages (white lines) on the shadow track other than lair cost?

Hmm, I think you listed all the rules. The only other thing I can think of is some villains have an ability that triggers when the Track enters a new stage. It doesn't matter what stage, just that the marker crosses over the white line. See the web-published Volgovian Nutcracker for an example. I think the Roadblock rules from The Coast also use stage changes as a trigger -- it causes the roadblock to go away.

Quote:
What is the significance of being in the red numbers?

Like you said, it's just a couple of cards. The Reluctant Hero secret is the only one I can think of off hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="zayzayem"]In a basic, competitive game, is there any other significance to the stages (white lines) on the shadow track other than lair cost?q]

The white lines, indicating levels of darkness, affect some secret and corner cards, for example a Heroic Town Elder may join you until the Shadow Track moves into a new level of darkness, and if you are affected by a madness curse this may go when the level changes in either direction.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.