Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys, sorry if this is silly, but my friends and I are new to this game, an one thing is confusing us.

When you're in combat, is the order of things this?:

1. Attacker rolls first
2. Attacker (without really knowing if he needs to or not) modifies his dice with focus, target lock etc
3. Defender roll dice
4. Defender modifies dice (if needed cos he can already see what came up with the attackers roll)

So if that's correct. Then that seems like the defender has the advantage, since he can always see if he needs to bother using up his focus token to modify or not. And if he doesn't he could save it for another defend, or use it for his own offensive attack in the same round.

Or is it more like everyone rolls at the same time, and then there's a Mexican stand off to see who's gonna modify, and counter modify?

The rule book seems confusing, since, it seems to say my first option, but then says that the defender modifies first when defending....which seems like the opposite. Like a contradiction...

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If the defender wants to modify the attackers dice, they do it first. (and vice versa (I think), basically adding two more steps into your (correct) list.)

As far as an advantage goes . . . you really want to hit a ship with everything you can. You should chose the best ships for your squad, and the best actions as you play, so it really shouldn't be a question of maybe saving that focus on defense. You picked focus so you could blow your opponent out of the water. Now . . . if there's a falcon with one hull left and you roll one hit and two eyeballs and there's an enemy on your six . . . sure, you've got a dilemma, and I guess that's intended.

But I think once you've felt the pang of your favorite ship getting blown off the table, you won't feel like there's much of an advantage to having your opponent line up shots on you with action tokens to spend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, but to clarify, how could the defender modify the other guy's dice? Can't he only change his own?

Would you mind cutting a pasting my order and adding in the 2 steps you meant? I don't fully understand your reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be getting something wrong and someone who plays more will correct me (and there's threads on it.)

1) attacker roll dice.

2) Defender modifies attackers dice. (Um, like sensor jammer)

3) Attacker modifies dice (Han, Target lock, focus etc.)

4) Defender Rolls dice

5) Attacker modifies defense dice (can't think of something off the top of my head, but there's probably something that modifies them. I think an r7 droid lets you target lock opponents dice maybe.)

6) Defender modifies defense dice (luke, focus, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, that's great. Thanks so much

Anther quick question, obviously with the core set, the x wing basically equals 2 tie fighters, but I noticed some I the next ships in the series on the imperial side seem much more beefy and not so "expendable grunt" as the first ties.

Going forward with purchases for match ups from here, would it kind of be the way that the rebel and imperial ships are more balanced. Like for instance, if we got a b wing, would we still need 2 interceptors to balance it, or is it more one for one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ships do not always match up 1 on 1, there are many factors that determine this, of these pilot skill and upgrades are an important part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they all have points on them. That's a good place to start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey mate, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll carry on regardless. Yeah I know about the points on the cards, but it seems like a tie phantom isn't that expensive points wise, and is a killer ship and an a-wing isn't too different from it in cost, but is super weak.

It's ok, we can figure it out ourselves with trial and error, I was just hoping for some insight from more experienced guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well not sarcastic, but a little tongue in cheek maybe. 'Cause it's really the answer! (Tie Advanced are weak, and A-wing's were a little bit until rebel aces comes out any day now. But ships are all costed pretty fairly in relation to each other.)

An elite tie interceptor probably runs circles around a B-wing or shuttle. A ship with a turret works well against ships that rely on maneuverability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
ladofdestiny wrote:
Ok, that's great. Thanks so much
Anther quick question, obviously with the core set, the x wing basically equals 2 tie fighters, but I noticed some I the next ships in the series on the imperial side seem much more beefy and not so "expendable grunt" as the first ties.
Going forward with purchases for match ups from here, would it kind of be the way that the rebel and imperial ships are more balanced. Like for instance, if we got a b wing, would we still need 2 interceptors to balance it, or is it more one for one?

Thought I'd try to help a little bit...
Balance is a really tough one to call.
Similar point costs will get you started in the right direction, can be misleading also.
For example, a B wing and an Interceptor can end up with a similar point cost.
However in certain circumstances the Interceptor will fly rings around the B, while in others the B wing will blow the snot out of the Interceptor.
There are numerous threads on buying guides, but if you're looking for some quick ideas I'd suggest the following:

By adding a second core set, the X Wing expansion, and a TIE fighter expansion or two, you'll get a good combination of various X Wing versus TIE fighter match-ups.

By adding a Fire Spray and a Falcon, I believe you're adding reasonably matched ships.

I think you could add one B Wing and one Interceptor, and still keep balance with enough TIEs also. Especially with some of the named TIE pilots.

I think I'd add the A Wings (which I really like), the TIE advanced, and wave four a little later. Also if you think of trying to achieve reasonably balanced games in terms of the full 100 points, then it's easier to do than worrying about whether each ship is balanced with respect to a specific counterpart in an opposing force. In other words, in 100 points you probably can use a ship that might not be quite as good for the points if you're also using some solid ships to go with it.

Hope this helps a little.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.