Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the draft rules, I am a bit puzzled by the Guard units.

If I understand correctly, they are "elite" and so have an attack bonus when performing a Guard attack (-1 on regular units strength).
They don't have a bonus in defense, so you do want to use them to attack.

But..
they are also "precious" units, with a loss of 3 points of morale when they lose their first step (and become regular infantry units). Worse, if you lose the attack, there s a 3 pts morale penalty... So you REALLY don't want to use them lightly...

So what are their role?
I'm not quite sure I understand 100% all the subtleties of the new combat system, but it seems to me that the attacker will always take at least one step loss...

So if you attack with the Guard, you know you are going to lose 3 pts ...
Is it worth it?

The only role I can see is during end game, when your morale is already low, you can send the guard to inflict massive losses, knowing that your morale can't go below 1 as long as you win the battle...

Did I miss something? Some use of the guard except as a last resort?
Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks!

"La garde meurt et ne se rend pas" General Cambronne at Waterloo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
The guards can be thrown in at a crucial moment to break the enemy, but committing them casually would be very foolish. The rules therefore encourage you to employ the guards in a historically correct fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. Losses on the guard were very hard to replace, so it'd have been foolish to use the guard when it was not absolutely necessary. In most battles, Napoleon used them to break the enemy lines, in a situation that would most likely rout the enemy. In some battles, the enemy routed before the charge even reached them.

Without a morale loss for using the guard, the most rational strategy would be to use them like WWII tanks. At that point, the game becomes as historical as Memoir 44 or Attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pippin123 wrote:
Reading the draft rules, I am a bit puzzled by the Guard units.

So if you attack with the Guard, you know you are going to lose 3 pts ...
Is it worth it?

The only role I can see is during end game, when your morale is already low, you can send the guard to inflict massive losses, knowing that your morale can't go below 1 as long as you win the battle...

The Guard morale morale costs are intended to reflect the historical reluctance of commanders to commit these costly and difficult to replace units. They were generally used historically as a reserve of last resort. The question as to whether it is worth committing them or not is (by design) a difficult question to answer and depends on the circumstances of every game. In playtesting, sometimes they have been committed and sometimes not (and when committed, sometimes successfully and sometimes not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.
that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure I got all the implications for the game...

Waiting for pre-order laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pippin123 wrote:
Waiting for pre-order laugh

You and me both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Perry
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
Hi,
Though I don't claim to be an authority on the Napoleonic Wars from fairly extensive reading this does seem to be historically accurate.
The Garde was suppoed to be used to break through an enemy line and deliver the battle winning blow to the enemy army. However,At times Napoleon seemed reluctant to commit the Garde, the classical example was at Borodino in Russia when despite urging from many of his staff including Marshal Ney he refused to do so. This event has been argued about by military historians ever since. Some feel that this cost him to the decisive victory he needed, while others feel that his decision was correct because had an attack by the Garde failed it would have demoralized the French Army while it was deep in Russia and may have had a catastophic consequences.
Further, at Waterloo what remained of the Garde reserve( i.e. the Young Garde and part of the Middle Garde had been deployed against the Prussians) was sent against Wellington's centre and repulsed by the British Guards brigade. As is well known this led to the cry " La Garde recule" which resulted in a collapse of morale and diintergaetion of the entire French Army.
In summary, commiting the Garde to combat was often the decisive in battle but shoul the attack fail the reult might well be defeat. HTH
Cheers, Chris Perry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.