Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say medium is Mage size.
Poll: Creature Size?
Some are obvious others can be left up to interpretation. If you were to size the 99 creatures into 3 categories, what would they be?
What size would you consider the creatures of the game?
  Small Medium Large
 Whirling Spirit
 Blue Gremlin
 Darkfenne Hydra
 Devouring Jelly
 Gargoyle Sentry
 Gorgon Archer
 Huginn, Raven Familiar
 Mana Leech
 Moonglow Faerie
 Stonegaze Basilisk
 Screech Harpy
 Acolyte of the Bog Queen
 Blood Demon
 Cerberus
 Dark Pact Slayer
 Darkfenne Bat
 Deathfang
 Firebrand Imp
 Flaming Hellion
 Goran, Werewolf Pet
 Grey Wraith
 Ichthellid
 Infernian Scourger
 Malacoda
 Mort
 Necropian Vampiress
 Plague Zombie
 Ravenous Ghoul
 Sardonyx, Blight of the Living
 Sersiryx, Imp Familiar
 Shaggoth-Zora
 Skeletal Archer
 Skeletal Knight
 Skeletal Minion
 Skeletal Sentry
 Unstable Zombie
 Venomous Zombie
 Wildfire Imp
 Zombie Brute
 Zombie Crawler
 Zombie Minion
 Earth Elemental
 Iron Golem
 Adramelech, Lord of Fire
 Asyran Cleric
 Asyran Defender
 Brogan Bloodstone
 Gray Angel
 Guardian Angel
 Highland Unicorn
 Knight of Westlock
 Royal Archer
 Samandriel, Angel of Light
 Selesius, the East Wind
 Valshalla, Lightning Angel
 Invisible Stalker
 Psylok
 Thoughtspore
 Bitterwood Fox
 Cervere, The Forest Shadow
 Dire Wolf
 Emerald Tegu
 Fellella, Pixie Familiar
 Feral Bobcat
 Giant Wolf Spider
 Kralathor, The Devourer
 Makunda
 Mountain Gorilla
 Raptor Vine
 Redclaw, Alpha Male
 Sosruko, Ferret Companion
 Spitting Raptor
 Steelclaw Grizzly
 Tarok, the Skyhunter
 Tataree
 Thornlasher
 Thunderift Falcon
 Timber Wolf
 Togorah, Forest Sentinel
 Vine Snapper
 Galador, Protector of Straywood
 Bridge Troll
 Anvil Throne Crossbowman
 Bloodcrag Minotaur
 Dwarf Kriegsbiel
 Dwarf Panzergarde
 Goblin Alchemist
 Goblin Bomber
 Goblin Builder
 Goblin Grunt
 Goblin Slinger
 Grimson Deadeye, Sniper
 Gurmash, Orc Seargeant
 Ludwig Boltstorm
 Orc Butcher
 Otto Kronig, Master Engineer
 Sir Corazin, Blademaster
 Talos
 Thorg, Chief Bodyguard
      25 answers
Poll created by LabyrinthsEcho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, with three answers now, only the Ichthellid got 33% for all sizes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see some of the responses. Like medium sized goblins or one of the fairies as medium sized.
I guess some people picture small starting sooner than others. And how big can you be before you cross into large? Clearly a unicorn is bigger than a human, but big enough to fit into a new size category?

In reality I would say the size classes in Mage Wars could even span into Tiny and Huge, making 5 tiers total.

I did see Adramalech as large, but maybe standing at 7 foot tall. He is nowhere near as big as Sardonyx or the Forrest Sentinel. So to lump all creatures that are larger than a medium sized human into the same category is a bit broad.

And some characters are definitely small like the foxes and the bats, but some could be tiny like Tataree, the imps or some fairies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, there should be more categorize, but I am trying something so I only could use three sizes.
Really it is all subjective. I took a rough estimate of the size of the arena if it were full scale. I came up with 75' x 100', so each zone is 25'
That was taking one door way and saying it is 4' wide, then measuring how many doorways fit length and width.

So having 15' monsters would take up almost a third of the arena. Seeing how these are creatures pulled out a spell book, I see it as the mage can scale them to what ever they want. Like if they fought from either side of the Grand Canyon they could scale them much bigger... Or like some fish in fish tanks, they only grow to a size that fits there surroundings.

Anyway just rambling about nonsense...

Thank you all that voted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Ejlertsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
My fix for wall of thorns using the highest voted size on this chart: Small creatures pass through unharmed. Medium creatures recieve an attack of 3 dice, large creatures recieve an attack of 5 dice.

No more pushing mages through wall of thorns for 10 dice of damage.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using subjective and arbitrary sizes to modify rules or card effects is not something I would recommend. I'm not completely against house rules, but this seems like a particularly bad one given how many creatures are in the game and the fact that size is not definitive for any of them. Instead, I'd recommend using armor, aegis, and/or unmovable to counteract the risk of being pushed through the wall, not to mention the option of burning the wall down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Ejlertsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm talking about fixing a broken card, not working around it on the battlefield as is the current state of the game. Wall of thorns is at the moment the most effective damage spell in the game.. Even compared to fireball and hurl boulder. And it's a thorny bush. I see too many decks revolving solely around pushing mages through this wall, and i cringe every time.

Fixing this card has to change the rule that it deals damage based on level because it doesn't scale with the fact that mages are level 6. It seems to me that the card was intended to deal more damage to larger creatures (which would make sense). And this chart is the closest thing i've seen to inventing a "size-stat" that covers all creatures. I know it is arbitrary and subjective, but it looks to me like it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd disagree about it being broken, as it is so simple to counteract. I haven't had people seriously try that tactic in my meta for awhile because it isn't very flexible. However, even if you think the card is broken, I would keep it's effect based on facts, like the creature's level, rather than on opinions such as "I think this is'd be a bigger creature than that one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schwenkgott
Germany
flag msg tools
Wall of Thorns and Thorn Push is ok as it is.
Zuberi is right, when he sais there is a simple countertactic against it.
Just equip some armor.

Without Armor
-> a 2 dice attack roll will bring you average 1 normal, 1 crit damage.

-> With one single Armor point, this will be reduced by 50% damage!

If you get caught by Thorn Push every time, maybe you should think about equipping or enchanting with Armor (or Nullify or Eagleclaw Boots). Might solve the problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LabyrinthsEcho wrote:
Thank you all that voted.
Is there any point to this poll? Considering the effort to put it up, I was wondering why you are interested in this? Are you planning to release a variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, any body armour + Veterans Belt also takes care of Thorn/Push (or just the aforementioned Eagleclaw Boots). And you can always push the opposing mage through it, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.