United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been discussed before, but not as in depth as I would like. I'm specifically looking for comments from owners of the first printing, especially those who also own and have played with the expansions.

I have the opportunity to acquire the 1st printing. The large box appeals to me as a better storage solution (I will be getting the expansions, I'm sure). My concern is the changes to card texts and/or any differences in print quality/color, etc.

I know the revised cards are freely available as a PDF (9, I believe). Is it necessary to make paste-ups, or are the changes so minor it isn't worth bothering? In other words, are the changes functional or are they clarifications? Is there any way other than purchasing the second printing to get actual copies of the changed cards? Will I care?

Finally, were there any differences in printing processes (color variations) that make expansion cards obvious when used with the first printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
I have the opportunity to acquire the 1st printing. The large box appeals to me as a better storage solution (I will be getting the expansions, I'm sure).

Note that the large box is much less useful for the second expansion. Asmadi changed the size of the cheat-sheets and they won't fit in the large box.

Quote:
I know the revised cards are freely available as a PDF (9, I believe). Is it necessary to make paste-ups, or are the changes so minor it isn't worth bothering? In other words, are the changes functional or are they clarifications?

As I recal they're just clarifications.

Quote:
Is there any way other than purchasing the second printing to get actual copies of the changed cards? Will I care?

You can order just-the-decks from Asmadi. I dunno about individual cards.

Quote:
Finally, were there any differences in printing processes (color variations) that make expansion cards obvious when used with the first printing?

Each expansion has a different back, so, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how large the first edition printing (unless it's that really tall one I saw once), but the second expansion box is big enough to fit all three sets, if that's your only reason in getting the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have what I THINK is the 2nd printing. (How do you tell? My rules say version 1.2. Everyone was out of stock of Innovation, including the publisher, then in May 2014 they were back in stock again with a "reprint" and I bought it directly from them; so must be the 2nd printing?)

Thing is, it's the huge box, seems 3 inches deep. And, while it fits the 1st expansion, it's too small for the rules for the 2nd expansion.
This is all kind of weird, since the box dimensions don't seem to match the 2nd printing on BGG's versions info, it seems closer to the 1st printing. Yet, it was apparently from a 2014 re-print. Maybe they went back to the original boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
@JazzFish - Can the 2nd expansion sheets/rules be trimmed to fit the 1st printing box (ie, how much larger are they, a little or a lot)?

@aliallison - Does the second expansion box fit all cards sleeved (or unsleeved only)?

Sounds like one way or another I can make this work, anyway. Thanks, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
@JazzFish - Can the 2nd expansion sheets/rules be trimmed to fit the 1st printing box (ie, how much larger are they, a little or a lot)?

I don't know; I haven't tried, and unfortunately all my games are currently in boxen awaiting a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
@aliallison - Does the second expansion box fit all cards sleeved (or unsleeved only)?

Good point. I did not sleeve my cards, so I cannot say about sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.