-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Can someone clarify the "plastic coins" that come with this game? Are we talking about those shitty tiddly-winks that come with every Martin Wallace game or are we talking plastic poker chips (or something to that effect)?

I'll be curious to hear the details on this as well. I'm confident it won't be the tiddly-winks junk. I've never even seen a game other than the MW ones that uses those. Can't think of any plastic coin that would get me excited though.

Still very much looking forward to the gameplay upgrades/changes but the more I hear and see about this, the less "Deluxe" it's appears.

If it had just been marketed as "Power Grid: Europe/North America" I think almost all of the grumbling and complaints could have been avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the coins will be one-sided, to help keep money totals concealed.

~Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
From the image the plastic coins appear to be different colors, so I doubt you can completely conceal your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
treebeardtheent wrote:
From the image the plastic coins appear to be different colors, so I doubt you can completely conceal your money.

Ahhh... that's too bad. If I do end up getting this, I'll likely stick with my one-sided chips that I already have and use, then. :-)

~Kat ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand money in Power Grid is a trackable resource so why bother hiding it?

On the other hand, if your group doesn't track these things, the plastic coins can be stored in a pocket with much less chance damage to the components than putting paper money in your pocket...unless you forget and try to use it in a vending machine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
On the one hand money in Power Grid is a trackable resource so why bother hiding it?

Because the designer himself has supposedly expressed in a thread here (that I've only ever heard referenced but not seen myself) that the money is intended to be hidden rather than open, as open money leads to much more AP especially in the final turns.

Postmark wrote:
On the other hand, if your group doesn't track these things, the plastic coins can be stored in a pocket with much less chance damage to the components than putting paper money in your pocket

Exactly what the countless groups already do who use poker chips. Just pocket a couple of higher value chips, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Postmark wrote:

Because the designer himself has supposedly expressed in a thread here (that I've only ever heard referenced but not seen myself) that the money is intended to be hidden rather than open, as open money leads to much more AP especially in the final turns.

I haven't seen it in a thread on BGG, but it's in the game's FAQ on the designer's website. Quoting for everyone's convenience:

Power Grid FAQ wrote:
Question: Are you supposed to hide the amount of money you have?

Answer: The rules are not explicit on this point. You should play with hidden money, to prevent AP in the last (couple of) turn(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.