R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forgive me; I don't have the exact text in front of me. The No One is Safe card states that "one" Town Elder is killed, and you should kill the Town Elder who's Honor(?) matches a d6 roll. However, when playing with The Coast you may have two Town Elders with the same value. Should you kill them both, kill one of them chosen randomly, or just pick one?

Also, when you need to reveal all secrets from a Town Elder, such as when they have 3 or more, what if they have effects that contradict each other? Should they be applied in the order stacked? Does an 'evil' secret always trump others? Etc.

I had a Town Elder secret that was both a positive effect as well as having an "evil" secret" and I had another that both wandered around randomly on the board as well as one that following the player who revealed his secret and wasn't exactly sure how to handle these situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer the Town Elders with conflicting secrets. Evil trumps all. So if there's a Good secret, a benign secret, and an Evil secret, the Town Elder turns evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimacePCH wrote:
I can answer the Town Elders with conflicting secrets. Evil trumps all. So if there's a Good secret, a benign secret, and an Evil secret, the Town Elder turns evil.

I agree that the evil secret happens, no matter what. But you can still have a timing conflict. The evil secrets say the Elder "immediately" flips and joins the villain, and the rules say that this means you discard all other secrets. But what about something like Knows Too Much, which also uses the word "immediately". Which immediate thing do you do first?

Some people use the order in which they were drawn, while other people (like me) play it whatever way benefits the heroes. My way would be to "immediately" gain the investigation for Knows Too Much, before having the elder "immediately" flip to evil. I guess Knows Too Much also makes the elder die (-2 shadow track) before his immediate flip to evil.

As for the other question (elders with the same Honor), I can't remember the rule off hand, but I know it is addressed in The Coast rules. Can't find those rules online at the moment, so I can't check it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
Forgive me; I don't have the exact text in front of me. The No One is Safe card states that "one" Town Elder is killed, and you should kill the Town Elder who's Honor(?) matches a d6 roll. However, when playing with The Coast you may have two Town Elders with the same value. Should you kill them both, kill one of them chosen randomly, or just pick one?

You roll for the two that are tied randomly. Just assign odds or evens to one and roll a D6.

rbeall88 wrote:

Also, when you need to reveal all secrets from a Town Elder, such as when they have 3 or more, what if they have effects that contradict each other? Should they be applied in the order stacked? Does an 'evil' secret always trump others? Etc.

If any of them are Evil (turns the Elder to join the Villain) they trump all other non-Evil Secrets (discard all but the Evil secrets).

There are four types of Evil secrets that could go into effect when revealed:
Darkest Secret (1x): +1 Combat to Villain
Darkest Secret (1x): +1 Wound to Villain
Servant to Darkness (3x): "If this Elder was part of your Hunting Party, they immediately make a 2 Fight Dice free attack against you..."
Shadow's Puppet (2x): "While this Evil Elder is alive, move the Shadow Track 1 step closer to Darkness at the start of each Showdown Fight Round."

If multiple copies of either Servant to Darkness or Shadow's Puppet appear, all but one copy of each can be discarded as their effect is conditional and singular - either execute a free Fight attack or move the Shadow Track in each round - but only once, or once per round. It doesn't make mechanical game sense to try to implement multiple itterations of those effects just because the Elder has more than one copy of the card on him.

The two versions of Darkest Secret say specifically "DO NOT discard". So it is intended that those two can exist with any of the other three types of Evil Secrets with no conflict. As both of the Darkest Secrets buff the Villain differently, there is no conflict.

So the most Evil Secrets that can go into affect when the secrets of an Elder are revealed is three. You could be hit by any three-card combination of the four types available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Tanner
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the dilemma I encountered -

Lady Hanbrook was killed and due to the Vampiric Bite, was forced to join the Vampire. Her Secrets were both the Darkest Secret, which added +1 combat and +2 wounds and stated she is the Villain & not to discard the Secrets.

The Vampire's ability states to discard the Secrets; now does the ability supersede the cards, or vice-versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Her secrets are ignored (discarded without effect) and she joins the Villain. The Villain's ability trumps in the order of play. The Elder is Killed? First check Villain abilities, then resolve Secrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.