Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since playmats aren't available here in the UK, I'm thinking about creating a custom arena, and wondered what people had come up with. One thought was to buy 12 custom mouse mats, and putting them together. Probably pricey though.

What solution have other people come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I would seek out a print shop and see what they could do. There are large printers that can print on many materials. It will be a bit pricey, but worth investigating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of creating maps from D&D floor maps. You can download floor types from the Internet and print them off and laminate them. I think I would like each zone to be a little bigger than the ones on the board for when everything ends up on one zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used sticker paper and foam core board for my modular temple courtyard board. Doesn't slide around to bad and sits together well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I priced a custom playmat, and this seems to be beyond the norm sizewise, and probably pretty expensive.

Another option might be a cloth board.

Has anyone tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ryan and Peter' ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

Has anyone tried that?

This is good timing. I was just thinking last week that the game is extremely portable (a couple spellbooks and bags of markers/dice don't take up much space in a bag) except for the gigantic board. So I ordered some mottled gray cloth (this one), cut it to size, and sewed an 8" square grid on it:

And here's a comparison with the size of the real board:

(The images are pending approval, so hopefully they'll show up soon.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andye wrote:
MrMT wrote:

Has anyone tried that?

This is good timing. I was just thinking last week that the game is extremely portable (a couple spellbooks and bags of markers/dice don't take up much space in a bag) except for the gigantic board. So I ordered some mottled gray cloth (this one), cut it to size, and sewed an 8" square grid on it:

And here's a comparison with the size of the real board:

(The images are pending approval, so hopefully they'll show up soon.)

That's pretty good, actually. Tempting to find something with a little design on it though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems some options could lies in wargame mats.

For example:

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
That's pretty good, actually. Tempting to find something with a little design on it though...

Yeah, I just went with the cheapest thing I could find quickly. The wargame mat you linked to is almost as expensive as the Arcane Wonders Mage Wars playmat (here). But if you've got access to a big arts and crafts store nearby, you could probably find more patterned cloth options. Or there might be places where you could have a pattern printed on cloth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That might be an exchange issue - the AW mats are really expensive for us to import, and that wargames mat is less than half the cost, probably a third once you add in customs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.