Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Me and abstraction aside (never good), I'm just working my way through my first time with this lovely game and on beginning Turn 2, am immediately wondering, when the time comes for the Turn 2 Axis reinforcements to be placed (in the field so to speak), given that the French Port is by now open for mischief, can I then place German reinforcements straight there from the Turn Chart, hence ready to plunge in to the South Atlantic blue? And if so, theoretically at least, Italian reinforcements as well?
The Rules do make plain that British reinforcements must begin in Blighty, but for other nationalities it's a tad more ambiguous than that.
Well, at least to me whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
No.

Rule 4.4 states they must be placed in their "Home Ports".

France (for example) may become a controlled port, but will never be a "Home Port".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you ever so much Scott for your quick reply. If you dont mind me saying, at least in terms of a discussion, 4.4 is (of course) in section 4 of the rules, which is called... Prepare for play. And, as you will have realised, I was previously referring to the rule prior, that being 4.3 where it is said "....but British reinforcements must start in England". So, do you think its plausible that the writers meant for Axis ships to "start" the game in their home ports but, given the omission of mention of their reinforcements, that they can therefore reinforce in any port available to them at the time? What do you think? And what do you think everyone else is doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Given how carefully we read rulebooks, there is room for writers to be more explicit, but I think they're getting better at it than they used to be. However, I think we should accept that writers also attempt to be as brief as possible. So, having said that all units start in their home ports--albeit in the set-up section--the writer probably felt that it didn't need to be repeated. England is specifically mentioned because they do start some of there units outside of their home country.
Germany and Italy do not.

Reinforcements do start in home ports.

Even though people all over the world were engaged in war production, the end product was usually assembled in the home country--or in Great Britain's case, sent there. The Germans, despite having submarine ports in France, for example, used these for repair, not production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beautifully put Tanik, plus accompanied by what is an excellent justification.
So, now unhindered by doubt, I can at last continue play.
At least...for the meantime whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Why thank you. Good of you to say.
Glad to be of help--however temporarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.