Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what the opinions are in regards to picking one of these two up (that is between Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set)

...I'm primarily looking for something that I will be playing solo a great deal, and occasionally with a friend or two (but most of my friends lean toward more dice-chucking fun, so it would be rare)

I have already waded into Mage Knight Board Game, and while I love it, I grow tired of weeping after 4 hours of plowing through the countryside and failing to kill that STUPID DRAGON blocking my way into the last city (and as I have no table space that I can leave a game on overnight, the fun all happens in one day, rather than being able to spread my weeping across a weekend). That said, rulebooks and I are on good terms, so difficulty is not a problem.

Essentially I would really like a primarily solo (with an expandable possibility if someone gets ambitious to play with me) fantasy adventure that takes a couple hours (or less) for those days after work that I don't want to stare at another screen and play a video game. Any thoughts (or recommendations outside of these two that I'm missing) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited for better wordmaking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is PACG. Thunderstone is also a good game, but the solo variant of it feels very much like a variant and not the way the game was intended to be played, at least in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
My vote is PACG. Thunderstone is also a good game, but the solo variant of it feels very much like a variant and not the way the game was intended to be played, at least in my opinion.

Hmmm. The solo play often changes the game a lot. Is it a question of character number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo play, i'd take PACG.

Thunderstone's solo play is a variant and i got bored of it within 2 plays.
PACG is a fully coop game. A single player can easilly play 3 or 4 different heroes.

That said, PACG is harder to bring "occasional" players into it. You really need to play it regularly with the same people as a campaign to enjoy it. For the occasional multiplayer games, Thunderstone is definitely better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rave_rd wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Hmmm. The solo play often changes the game a lot. Is it a question of character number?

Do you mean with Thunderstone? The issue with it for me is that it just works differently than the multiplayer game, mechanically and strategically. It works theoretically, but you definitely get the sense that the solo variant was added as an afterthought; the game wasn't designed and balanced specifically with it in mind. This may be nebulous, but it's like you're playing one game with another game's pieces. Not saying it's bad necessarily, just not as good as PACG for me.

PACG, on the other hand, adjusts down to 1 player very well. It plays a little bit different because time tends to be less urgent the fewer players you have, but otherwise everything works exactly the same. As a solo game, I just think it's more compelling and has more replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Thank you both (and yes Aaron, I did mean on Thunderstone, my apologies for not being clearer)

In general it seems like PACG might be the way for me to go. If I am bringing someone along for multiplayer, if they're committed, I can probably fandangle a bigger game like Level:7

I appreciate the feedback guys; hard to get the sense of the game from reading alone. Please take some thank you GG!

Edited for better Wordmaking (on iphone. Oh autocorrect...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the GG. Surprised more people aren't jumping on this topic. You may also want to ask the 1 player guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had such a great time with both games. For solo play, I would go with PACG. I played solo through the first 2 adventure packs, before I scrapped those characters to bring a buddy into the game.

When playing solo, I suggest taking 3 characters through (once you get a handle on the game). Set up and break down with both games is a little annoying without another set of hands to help.

I've become quite attached to my characters, and love seeing them get more powerful. It's been a really unique experience. We're going to go through Rise of the Runelords again with new characters, and can't wait to jump into Skull and Shackles when it arrives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it happens...topic gets buried on the main page or what have you...maybe I should've started with a "good for solo and multiplayer fantasy game" as the subject instead of being so specific. Ah well.

I'm on the solo guild a couple times a week, and I thought about posting there, but I was hoping to get a wider range of responses ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvdhwkaz wrote:
When playing solo, I suggest taking 3 characters through (once you get a handle on the game). Set up and break down with both games is a little annoying without another set of hands to help.

Cool. Thanks for the player tip--from the sounds of it I'll be adding PACG to my next order based on what I'm hearing.

As for set up and break down, as I usually have to do Mansions of Madness by myself (as an example, on top of Mage Knight) I can't imagine it'll be too bad ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rave_rd wrote:
dvdhwkaz wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the player tip--from the sounds of it I'll be adding PACG to my next order based on what I'm hearing.

As for set up and break down, as I usually have to do Mansions of Madness by myself (as an example, on top of Mage Knight) I can't imagine it'll be too bad

True... I only say that because a scenario takes 45 minutes or so, and you might play several in a session. It's not that bad compared to others, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.