Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am a fan of the Warhammer 40K universe from years ago, love Space Hulk: Death Angel, and am really looking forward to this game. Was thinking of trying some Warhammer 40K fiction to get revved up for diving in, but wasn't sure if there was any that is good / a great place to start, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
Hi all,

I am a fan of the Warhammer 40K universe from years ago, love Space Hulk: Death Angel, and am really looking forward to this game. Was thinking of trying some Warhammer 40K fiction to get revved up for diving in, but wasn't sure if there was any that is good / a great place to start, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If there's a faction you're interested in, let us know - there's fiction based on a lot of them, or using them as the antagonists.

Just in general? The Eisenhorn Omnibus gets a lot of love. If you're in for the long-haul, you can check out the Horus Heresy series, depicting the biggest event in the history of the 40K Universe. I believe it stars with Horus Rising. It stretches between many, many novels (which are still being written).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oooh, thanks! I'm always drawn to the Space Marines and the Eldar (I played both a long time ago), so anything in that space? Thanks for the suggestions already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham McNeil's Ultramarines novels and Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series would be a good place to start. Both are considered to be some of the better 40k writers and I can personally vouch for the quality of the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:

Oooh, thanks! I'm always drawn to the Space Marines and the Eldar (I played both a long time ago), so anything in that space? Thanks for the suggestions already!

There's an Eldar series called Path of the Eldar, that deals with three friends who each walk a different "path". They're certainly not the best books I've ever read, but they're quick, an definitely give more insight into Eldar culture.

As to Space Marines - every other book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.blacklibrary.com/our-ranges.html

... just be prepared for sticker shock on some of these, especially eBooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm two books into the Horus Heresy and I'm really liking it thus far. Also, I've only heard good things about Gaunt's Ghosts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaunt's Ghosts is phenomenal. Easily my favorite 40K series and I've read most of them. If you want a one-off Space Marine book that will perfectly portray the darkness of the 40K universe, check out Grey Knights. So good, so dark, so descriptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cold Toilet Seat
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm of Iron is one of my all-time favorite 40k novels. The Ciaphas Cain series are also pretty entertaining. For more space marine stuff, I really enjoyed Deus Encarmine and Deus Sanguinius. The Space Wolf novels aren't too shabby, either. Dan Abnett's book Titanicus was pretty cool, but I remember it having a really weak ending. For pilots & air combat in the 40k universe, you might give Double Eagle a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pratt
Australia
Hervey Bay
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaunt's Ghosts is an amazing series - read them all up to date and have cried twice. Abnett is a master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tidalick wrote:
Gaunt's Ghosts is an amazing series - read them all up to date and have cried twice.

This. I thought I was the only one... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I stopped reading Horus Heresy after... I think Mechanicum? They are written by a variety of authors, so the quality does vary.

I read the first Ultramarines Omnibus, and am pleased to say I enjoyed all the books within.

I've not read any of the Gaunt's Ghosts, but they are almost universally praised.

Rynn's World is well-written, but as a Crimson Fists fan, I was somewhat disappointed with the story. Assuming this is canonical, the reason for the devastation of the chapter is a little... meh.

There are also a couple of games worth checking out, Fire Warrior was surprisingly good for its time (even though the weapon profiles were way off) and Space Marine is a nice hack-and-slash romp (with a slightly disappointing climax).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Ian Watson. The rest is mediocre hack work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tidalick wrote:
Gaunt's Ghosts is an amazing series - read them all up to date and have cried twice. Abnett is a master.

Was one of those times when

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lijah Cuu got killed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Space Marine Battles series is quite good. Rynn's World is a cool story, a bit generic but really fun to read.

The entire series depict important battles and struggles in the 40K universe. You can spot them by there white covers.

Like this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin sayers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Start reading the horus heresy series in order. I am through book 15 and its been very good. it really dives deep into the inner workings of the space marines and why fully half the chapters fell to choas.

Very good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that 40k works best in a short story format. Books like Let The Galaxy Burn and There Is Only War are great for that. You get a good taste of the universe through the eyes of many writers and many different protagonists.

The Audio Dramas that Black Library puts out are also fantastic. They started off pretty amateurish, but have gotten better with each release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
waut Dooghe
Belgium
meerhout
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

The Eisenhorn trilogy (followed by the Ravenor trilogy) are the books that got me into the franchise. Simply excellent books if you like action and suspense. Those books also show some insights on day to day life in the Imperium as opposed to books who are action heavy.

The Horus Heresy series are overall good novels going about the start of the civil war (so its more like a prequel/Warhammer 30K). They are somewhat chronological order (especially the first ones) so best to read them in proper order.

The Gaunt's Ghosts novels are excellent if you like action packed goodness. They can be quite tense because, like Game of Thrones, being a lead character doest't mean you cannot die. If you plan of buying these books, go for the omnibus versions.

Loose books I also enjoyed are Titanicus (if you enjoy giant killer robot goodness) and the Brothers of the Snake omnibus (about a space marine chapter).

(a lot of the books I suggested are from Dan Abnett. You cannot really go wrong with this writer).

Also heared good thing about the Ciaphas Cain series although I havn't got the time to read them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Johnson
Germany
Stade
Nds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good writer in the 40k universe is Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Nearly every release of him is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these posts and only one mention for Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain novels? For shame.

Seriously, those are freaking fantastic and hilarious. It's a really subversive read on the 40k setting, and the Guard in general, that actually works really well.

Abnett's Eisenhorn trillogy is also good. The Ravnor trilogy lost me, though, and I've never been able to get into the Gaunt books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Golen

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to second the Eisenhorn trilogy books. You can get all three of them as a single omnibus and they are really quite exceptional. I couldn't put it down. Dark, brooding, strange morals, explosions, everything you want out of 40k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wautd wrote:
The Eisenhorn trilogy (followed by the Ravenor trilogy) are the books that got me into the franchise. Simply excellent books if you like action and suspense. Those books also show some insights on day to day life in the Imperium as opposed to books who are action heavy.

Eisenhorn was the first book/omnibus I bought from BL, thus setting me down a path my wallet doesn't appreciate . That said, there is a dark side to starting with Eisenhorn, it's downhill after reading that, like you start at the top of mountain, nothing to climb towards laugh .

I'm a fan of Ciaphas Cain novels, mentioned them in another thread about finding more light-hearted touches in 40k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow!! Thanks again for all the amazing feedback! I think I'll be downloading and skimming the first few sample pages of a lot of these before deciding. And then I'll come back to this thread for what to read next! I really appreciate all of the quick and thoughtful replies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musashi Dynamo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
You might try Brothers of the Snake, 7 short stories about a SM chapter, where the last story will make sense of the first story
It's written by Dan Abnett, although it feels a bit like an early try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.