Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have been having weird dreams lately. And naturally, as someone who is constantly thinking about game design, I had an idea to make a game about dreams. I know there is already Onirim, but at its core, that is an abstract set collection game. I want to take a different approach.

Here is my thought process:

You know how dreams sometimes don't make sense? And sometimes, you don't even realize how ludicrous it sounds until you are telling someone about it? For example, "I was walking alongside some train tracks, when all of a sudden I was attacked by a giant robotic baked potato. I pulled out a battle axe and chopped it up, and realized Barney the Dinosaur was inside of it."

Sometimes dreams are funny. Sometimes they're scary. Sometimes they are just downright bizarre. What if you could translate that into a card game?

I need to qualify this by saying this game idea is barely even a skeleton. But essentially, my working idea is that players have a hand of cards, each with an element of a dream on it. Working off of the above example, I might have the following cards in my hand:

A giant robot
A baked potato
Barney the Dinosaur
A train
A battle axe

Then, sort of like Ace Detective, I could develop a story through these cards, and the above example is what comes from it. Maybe other players could play cards into my dream. Maybe there is an timer mechanic, where you can only dream for so long before you "wake up."

As I said, this is just an idea I had last night, so it needs a great deal of development. Admittedly, I don't even know what the objective would be. To tell the best story? To collectively, cooperatively create a weird dream? I don't know. Maybe this idea has no merit at all. I am just curious to hear the ideas and input of others.

Fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wood
Australia
Scarborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, I think it has most of the structure as you described. You can see it played on Tabletop . This may help give you some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It reminds me of Pleasant Dreams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel ya, dude. I designed Dream Shift with similar thoughts, although I went the solo-game route, and it sounds like you're looking for a multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.