Patrick Lewis
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I just got the game and the two supplements; everything's punched, clipped, and ready to go and I can't wait to get started.

However, I do have a question about the Union cavalry. Are they really supposed to be "pistol & saber" units in all of the scenarios where they appear? They have a range of "2" and that would mean they fall into that category according the rules under 13.2.11. Did I miss something in the rules about Union cavalry? (I've scoured the rules and SSRs, but I may have missed something.) It seems to me that the Union cavalry should be armed with rifled carbines and have a range of at least "4".

I just don't see how the cavalry can recreate its performance on the first day with only a range of 2 (100 yards.)

I hope someone can help me out on this as I'm raring to go on this interesting game! Thanks.

Patrick Lewis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thomasson
msg tools
Noticed the same thing. I'm going to substitute 5-5-8s when the units are dismounted and see how that works out.

Most Federal Cav had breachloaders. Additionally, I suspect the 4-5-7s with ROF=2 are supposed to represent Spencers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Union cavalry in scenarios 1 and 2 are definitely NOT armed with pistol & saber. Rule 13.2.11 is poorly written and confusing. The intent of that rule is to distinguish between cavalry that is armed with carbines and those that are not. The cavalry in these scenarios are definitely armed with carbines.

Unfortunately, the small arms model in the CWATS rules as currently written does not accurately reflect the capabilities of cavalry carbines. The model in the current rules is neither historically nor technically accurate. For what it’s worth, it is not the small arms model that I originally submitted to the publisher. During the development process the model morphed into what we have now (type of small arms distinguished only by range on the counter).

Critical Hit has a penchant for publishing games that do not go through much of a playtesting process, and the release of this game unfortunately adhered to that somewhat unique process. The good news is that I have made Ray aware of this problem, and I am confident that the next printing of the rules will have this issue fixed.

In the meantime, the Union cavalry in scenarios 1 & 2 should be 5-3-8 squads with a rate of fire of 2. Since they are armed with carbines, they are capable of long range fire (1/2 GF at ranges 4-6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Coffey
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent new book on the topic has just been released.

"The Devil's to Pay, John Buford at Gettysburg" by Erice J. Wittenburg

Wittenburg, in Appendex B of the book addresses "The Myth of the Spencers" and concludes that although Buford's cavalry carried a variety of breech loader, they didn't carry many Spencer Repeaters. He does indicate that the breech loaders could get off 5-7 rounds per minutes whereas proficient infantry with muzzel loaders get get off three rounds per minute. The carbines suffered from shorter effective ranges (300 yard) but made up for it with higher rate of fire.

I think Mark is spot on in using a 5-3-8 with a rate of fire of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Crispin
United States
Bee Cave
Texas
flag msg tools

Col. Johnson --

Is there any way to get a copy of the original small arms model that you designed? Have not seen any indication in the CH literature that the rules have been revised, and in my contacts with Ray late last year he made no mention of any rules update.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.