5 Posts

Smash Up: Awesome Level 9000» Forums » Rules

Subject: TALENT: Timing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibor Grün
msg tools
Hello!

I have a question regarding the timing of talents of minions: Is it right, that I can use a talent at any time during my turn? So I could use the Venus Trap from the Plants during phase 1 to get a Sprout, and then destroy that same Sprout to get a 3-power minion straight away?

Or when exactly is the use of your talent allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules at least imply that this wouldn't work. The rules say:

Quote:
Talent: This is an ability that the
minion or action may use once
during each of
your turns,
sort of like an
extra action.

So it doesn't explicitly say that talents can only be played when you'd normally do an action, but comparing it to an action certainly seems to imply as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris plexidas
msg tools
Mr_Mondain wrote:
Hello!

I have a question regarding the timing of talents of minions: Is it right, that I can use a talent at any time during my turn? So I could use the Venus Trap from the Plants during phase 1 to get a Sprout, and then destroy that same Sprout to get a 3-power minion straight away?

Or when exactly is the use of your talent allowed?

Sprout says: Ongoing: destroy this card at the start of your turn.

To my understanding,if you do use a talent,your turn has already started so you can't destroy the sprout at that turn(matches also the theme of plants,you have to let them grow a bit in order to harvest their power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this thread, thought I'd add my few pence

I think you can only use you talents in the "Main Phase" of your turn; the "Play Cards" part. From the rules (page 5), this is the "phase" order:

1) Crank it up (things that happen at the start of your turn, ie. Sprout)
2) Play Cards (and do stuff)
3) Check for Scoring
4) Draw 2 cards
5) Shut it Down (things that happen at the end of your turn)

In order to get to the point where you can use you Venus's Talent or do anything for that matter, you must have gone past the start of your turn, so the Sprout that you'll get from the Talent will have to wait until the start of your next turn to bloom, as it were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talents may only be invoked during the Play Cards phase of the controller's turn. It doesn't explicitly say so in the rules, but that omission will be corrected in future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.