Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to an anime convention in Vancouver, Washington in a few weeks. I've been an anime fan for about twenty years now, dating back to Akira and Urusei Yatsura (the latter is what really got me hooked), but thanks to a few awkard scheduling matters and the general changes of the fandom towards a more Net-based approach I've been out of touch for a few years.

The only current series I've been following is the school comedy/drama Hidamari Sketch. I love it, but despite being licensed for video it has a very low profile in my region. Finding a series someone else knows about is a bit of a challenge.

I do have a Crunchyroll membership, and have seen early episodes of things like Yuyushiki!, Is the Order a Rabbit?, and Kill la Kill (I don't know what to make of the latter two at all, except that they are very different -- one is gentle, non-violent, and has a leisurely pace, while the second is ultra-violent, frenetic and over-the-top in just about every way you can be over-the top).

So three questions: what are people watching these days, what do I need to have seen even a little of to avoid looking a complete fool, and are there things I should avoid like the plague?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm and old anime geek too, who is not up to date, but have acouple of friends who are very active and time to time they recommend good stuff to me.

Currently I'm watching Sword Art Online at Crunchyroll, and I loved it.
Outside that, Attack on Titans is awesome, a little gore but awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack on Titan is considered one of the shows you pretty much have to know something about, but it doesn't strike me as my kind of thing. Of course, neither was Evangelion, which probably seriously reduces my cred in a lot of people's eyes.

I did not see some of the major things of the last decade or so. I saw very little Black Lagoon, though I did like what I saw. I have seen no Guerren Lagann or Code Geass.

One of the benefits of Hidamari Sketch is that it's very real. The cast has understandable motivations, and the situations for the most part are things that could really happen. It's all about friendship and love, dealing with life's "petty" annoyances, and looking for (but not always finding) your place in the world. You wonder how the main teacher hasn't been fired or brought up on charges sometimes, but that's about the only thing in the series that doesn't ring true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no help. I watched the original "Astro Boy" when it came to the US in the early 60's, then "Starblazers" and "Captain Harlock" in college back in the 70's, and recently have watched "Claymore", "Ghost in the Shell" (1st movie and both series) and nearly all the Miyazaki stuff, all of "Cowboy Bebop" + movie, some "Inuyasha", some "Naruto", about half of "Bleach". Watched one episode of "FLCL" and vowed 'never again'. Maybe a dozen episodes of "Full Metal Alchemist", the "Read or Die" three-part movie, some "XXXholic", a good deal of "One Piece" (my son is a big fan), and a bunch of the "Case Closed" (Detective Conan) episodes, and some scattered episodes of a number of other series: "Samurai Champloo", "The Big O", "Gurren Laggan", first season of "The Last Airbender", and others.

My son and daughter have watched and liked "Sword Art Online" and "Attack on Titan", and my daughter even has a Tumblr for AoT fandom, with over 2200 followers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Anime has grown into such a big tent that you don't really need a uniform anymore, you can like whatever and still find a place. Personally, the more popular anime has gotten the less I find really interesting.

the classics never go out of style (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost In The Shell, Akira, Evangelion)
the newer classics (Gurren Lagann, Baccano, Darker Than Black, Code Geass, Black Lagoon)
the adolescent TV stuff (Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist)
and the newer good stuff (Kill la Kill, Attack On Titan, Psycho Pass)

Pick a few and you will be good to go (and in a good position to learn a lot more!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old school fan here too...

This might be a good place to ask this...

I watched a box set of Anime about 6 years back, it was maybe about 6-8 discs and possibly subtitled. It might have been a few years old at that point too. From what I remember it was about a group of kids that were someone how teleported to an alternate dimension where they fought demons. It was pretty good, but I can't remember the name. I can hear the voice of the girl/kid that would shout the name at the beginning of every episode but can't remember the name... any help?

Edit: oh and it didn't have that typical big eye thing some anime will have, if I remember right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
So three questions: what are people watching these days?

Pretty much everything is being watched these days. Slice of life is getting pretty popular. But if you want to go by Japan, then know One Piece. That shit is everywhere!

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
what do I need to have seen even a little of to avoid looking a complete fool,

Know the big names: Dragonball Z, Bleach, Naruto, etc. They are still around, and you are guaranteed to see at least half the people that the convention cosplay as Naruto. Oh, and One Piece.

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
and are there things I should avoid like the plague?

Pretty much everything that is being watched these days.

Really anime has been so recycled in the past 5 years, and every show is exactly the same. I have scaled back a lot. There are still some great shows out there, but most things reek of "been there, don't that", and mediocre....if you know any anime from around 2003 and 2004, then you know anime from 2013 and 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.