Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the mission "On Equal Terms" from Ares Games' historical scenario booklet, played with the solo rules from the Anchorage forum. Everything you need to follow it is in the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job...thanks for the pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. That would have taken a lot of work. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I had some time on my hands on Sunday afternoon. cool

I think it's better to view over on my G+ gallery, but BGG wouldn't let me post a link to that as a session report (understandable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
Thank you, I had some time on my hands on Sunday afternoon. cool

I think it's better to view over on my G+ gallery, but BGG wouldn't let me post a link to that as a session report (understandable).

Agreed...it is better...thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence about this game since it came out, despite my love of the age of sail. My big concern is the amount of luck in the game. In this session report, over and over again, I read 'the British miss!', followed inevitably by 'the British lose...'

Am I right in thinking this skirmish was decided by luck? Seems like it.

p.s. I hate SW Xwings. For me the fantastic simultaneous action selection and movement is completely ruined by the dice. I made the perfect decision, caught my opponent dead to rights, and whiffed one time to many...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is some luck...but if you play better than your opponent, then more times than not you'll win. As in all war games there is no "perfect" plan or strategy that will guarantee a win each and every time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Miracle
msg tools
As you have seen, damage is determined by chits instead of dice. There is a standard chit set, and it has quite a bit of variability.

As a general thing, this randomness strikes me as historically accurate.

But if you want less randomness, you can buy an extra set of chits, and then chose which chits to include/exclude to create whatever damage profile you want. If you want less luck, just reduce the prevalence of misses (on the one hand), and severe damage and critical hits (on the other), while increasing the proportion of middling damage markers.

On the other hand, if you want longer games, leave in the misses but take out the high-end damage chits. And so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting idea. What I'm wondering now is whether it's possible to have different sets of chits/probabilities for different ranges. Basically, if I miss repeatedly at medium to long-range that would seem historically accurate, but if I miss repeatedly while closely engaged that's going to make me nuts. Closely engaged ships rarely missed. What was more common was that a gun would break loose, overturn, or explode from the strain and overheating of continuous fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing is so much hit-or-miss, and that is pretty irritating to me too. Misses are quite frequent.
Here you draw several chits for eacxh hit. An average undamaged SOL gives something like 7 chits with its central cone, 4 with an angled shot. Difficult to miss with all of them. You can do a low amount of damage, but then even a single point of damage can give you the satisfaton to cover a new box of the enemy ship log and lower its game statistics.

There are already different sets of chits/probabilities for different ranges. A chits (long range balls) hit with 54 chits out of 90, B chits (short range balls) with 82 on 90, C chits (chained balls) with 50 on 60, D chits (grapeshot) with 44 on 60, E chits (rifles) with 45 on 90. If we consider "hit" any chit with at least 1 point of damage to the hull or to the crew.

This means that a SOG with an angled fire of 4 chits, using a single set of chits, has 6,38% chances of totally missing a target at long range, less than 0.00027% at short range. This lowers a lot with the 7/8 chits of a full broadside (if the target is at 90° from the firer) becoming for 7 chits 0.715% of missing at long range, and pratically nil at short range. Of course chances rise if firer inflicts less chits because of a lower firepower (smaller ships, damaged ships...). Chances slightly increase if you use two or more sets of chits mixed together.

Quote:
Closely engaged ships rarely missed.

True, and they should not do that in the game too, with the chances above.
Anyway you refer to the problem of landing projectiles on the target. 0s are not only that - they include also the case of projectiles centering the target but not doping substantial damage for any reason (substantial = worth recording on the damage track in game terms). The difference is even more important in our air games, since some planes came back safely at their home airfield with hundreds of bullet holes on them that failed to significantly affect the flying abilities of the plane.

Of course there is subjective perception too, so a player delivering just a few points of damage when inflicting several chits can feel having "missed" anyway. Even if, I repeat, just a single chit on a new box of the log lowers somehow the statistics of the target.

Anyway, even here with the few chits shots by two small frigates, I see the first miss at turn 17, at long range, after several exchanges of fire with no total misses on any side that already damaged both ships. Then again a couple of times at long range and only once at short range. True, British have been unlucky. But seeing the damage on the French ship (with just one crew box and two hull ones left at the end) it has been also almost sunk too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.