Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Just Starting Buyers Guide help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Got a couple friends that have really gotten into this game casually and trying to get some tournies going at the local comic book shop. I enjoyed it the 2 or 3 times we have played and think its something my wife and I or my brother and I would enjoy to play. Can someone help out with a good idea on a buyers guide to getting started. Appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out some of these threads:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1207585/what-start

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1202401/what-should-i-buy-ne...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1163681/need-some-purchasing...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1211055/new-player-squad-bui...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above links, I'd suggest that you convince the local store to do a 40, 50, etc, point tournament. Don't go straight to 100. Get some excitement built up! 40 point tournaments can go very quickly, as you're usually 1 or 2 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
ok well I will be more specific I would like to only spend around 200 starting out. I am ok with the 200. I was gonna use coolstuffinc since its free shipping on anything over 100. Let me know how this sounds.

x2 Core Set (53.98)
x1 TIE Fighter (9.99)
x1 TIE Advanced (9.99)
x1 X-Wing (9.99)
x1 Y-Wing (9.99)

that would give me all of the wave 1 cards 5 Tie Fighters and 3 X-Wings

x1 Imperial Aces (19.99)
x1 TIE Interceptor (9.99)

that would give me 3 Interceptors to go with the 5 Ties and the 1 Advanced for a fairly good start on the Imperial side. All that is 123.92. Gives me a little over 76 dollars to play with. Where would you go from there and do you think that is a good start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel aces will be out this month. A definite buy for a new player. I don't even know where to go. There are so many good ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, you'll eventually want one of everything small/medium sized as the cards add so much more to the game than the one new miniature in your hand would imply. Having new options, many of which work across many, many, other ships, really adds longevity and diversity to the game.

That said, only a few ships outright get better with multiples. If you aren't building toward a specific list (and why would you be if you're JUST starting out), i'd say get one of everything, and build from there.

I just recently helped a friend order, and he got one of essentially everything in print (so some of Wave 2 missing), and it ran him about $200.

My only exception is probably the Tie-Bomber, which thanks to one of its best pilots, is outright better with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:
ok well I will be more specific I would like to only spend around 200 starting out. I am ok with the 200. I was gonna use coolstuffinc since its free shipping on anything over 100. Let me know how this sounds.

x2 Core Set (53.98)
x1 TIE Fighter (9.99)
x1 TIE Advanced (9.99)
x1 X-Wing (9.99)
x1 Y-Wing (9.99)

x1 Imperial Aces (19.99)

that would give me 3 Interceptors to go with the 5 Ties and the 1 Advanced for a fairly good start on the Imperial side. All that is 123.92. Gives me a little over 76 dollars to play with. Where would you go from there and do you think that is a good start?

Rebel Aces, The Aluminum Falcon, and Slave 1 is where I'd go next. After that get some of the ships you'd just like to have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
rebel aces, falcon, slave, PHANTOM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:

x2 Core Set (53.98)
x1 TIE Fighter (9.99)
x1 TIE Advanced (9.99)
x1 X-Wing (9.99)
x1 Y-Wing (9.99)

x1 Imperial Aces (19.99)

I'm very pro Imperial Aces and TIE Interceptors in general!

Also, unless you're very committed to wave 1, you could probably spend your money better than on the TIE Advanced. I bought it strictly to get Vader but it almost never makes it to my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The A Wing and Millennium Falcon are both out of stock on coolstuffinc. The Rebel Aces is only for preorder at the moment. To add to everything I said earlier I through in this stuff....

x1 Slave 1 (19.99)
x1 Lambda-Class Shuttle (19.99)
x2 B-Wing (19.98)

that puts me at a little over 183 and I might try to find the Falcon on ebay or Amazon for a decent price but if I cant I will just wait for a reprint. That would leave me with this for now.

Imperial

5 Tie Fighters
3 Tie Interceptors
1 Tie Advanced
1 Slave 1

vs

Rebel

3 X-Wings
2 B-Wings
1 Y-Wing
1 HWK

that should be a pretty good start with some variations in games shouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lambda is Imperial, but why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
well crap I didn't really care for Star Wars.... I thought the Lamda thing was a good guy lol. Well I will switch it to the HWK or whatever the good guy version in wave 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:
well crap I didn't really care for Star Wars.... I thought the Lamda thing was a good guy lol. Well I will switch it to the HWK or whatever the good guy version in wave 3.
It was flown by both factions during the movies. When the rebels flew it, it was an undercover mission using a stolen shuttle. I kind of wish they would come out with a shuttle Tyderium modification to make it usable by the rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:

Imperial

5 Tie Fighters
3 Tie Interceptors
1 Tie Advanced
1 Slave 1

vs

Rebel

3 X-Wings
2 B-Wings
1 Y-Wing
1 HWK

that should be a pretty good start with some variations in games shouldn't it?

If you think you'll be picking up Rebel Aces (and you should), I'd change out one of the B-Wings for an E-Wing. Otherwise, things are looking good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I ordered that list plus a Tie Bomber and one of those plano toolbox looking things to carry the stuff in as recommended by a friend. Threw the Tie Bomber in since I didn't have it and I had to get over the amazon price for free shipping. Got most of it off coolstuffinc but went to amazon for the plano and an A Wing as coolstuff was out of stock on the A wing.

Your suggestion about the B-Wing was probably smart, but my buddy had a B-Wing and I liked it a lot so I went ahead and got 2 of them. I appreciate all the suggestions in this thread.

If you want to throw in any good mixtures of this list for really learning the game between our group before we start going to local tournies that would be great. Keep in mind between the two of us we have everything pre wave 4 and enough for any combination of Tie Fighters and X-Wings but maybe not other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you put your new collection into this squad builder:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

You can use a facebook login to save your info, and there's a "random squad" list that can generate based on your inventory. Its really not all that random, it uses some of the more known combos.

The other suggest I would say is that if you can, for at least a couple of games, try and have all of your ships move on a single pilot skill. You can use 2x Red Squad X-Wings and 2x Dagger Squadron B-Wings. Add a couple random upgrades and try it out! You'll start to see where you should be putting your upper PS pilots, and how to maneuver those lower skilled ones (because if everyone is a 4, you decide who moves first and shoots first, every round). I took the "Red Daggers" squad to my first tournament and it really helped! Now I fly all kinds of random stuff, but I think a squad with all the same PS will help you understand faster. As for imperials, you can build this list to show you a lot of their mentality:
Howlrunner + 4x Academy pilots, Soontir Fel + Push the Limit
Pick any upgrade for Howlrunner that you like. Start with Soontir on one edge of the board, and Howl+academies on the other. If they go for Soontir, flank 'em with the howl swarm. If not? Flank 'em with Soontir!

You'll find lots of squads that you can build, and some very competitive ones in these forums. I'd also look up some of the regional winning lists and play those if you can to see how they work. As far as attending a tournament, play a squad you KNOW. Play that same squad through 5-10 games and take that one to the tournament. Its repetitive, but you'll know your squad and do much better at a tourney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.