Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Coming soon: Sat 30 Aug, 10.30 am is our next Game Designers' Meeting at GGH. These days are a great opportunity for designers to have their designs tested and discussed and for gamers who love to play to see the 'next big thing' before it gets released to see some of that!

Our past days have been great successes and it's all very friendly. Our Protospeiler Extrordinaire, Richard Vickery will be running the day and I'll be there to discuss Good Games Publishing and how we might be able to help make your game a reality. Cost is $10 per person, which covers catering for the event. Please post here or talk to staff to RSVP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there - this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roediger
Australia
Nowra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be along. I have a game I'd like to bring and play test, if it will fit in the day's program.

Also, my daughter's netball team is likely to be playing in their comp's grand final that morning. If they make it, I'm going to be a little late - can't miss the final!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Dalton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there too, make sure to bring my game this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim - will you be bringing along the game you took to the TAGE protospiel? I didn't get a chance to see it but heard it received considerable acclaim.

So what other games are on offer this time around?

I'll be bringing along two new microgames I've been developing for some BGG contests. Below are my WIP threads - to be updated in a day or so.

Musketeers: Search for the Queen's Gems - 4-8 player a hidden-role game

Bathysphere - a 3-8 player push your luck game set in the world of Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sztajer
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Really looking forward to this. I'll be coming along with Time Fight (a 2-4 player game about gladiatorial combat with time travel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
6 confirmed so far, with a few more maybes - anyone else out there??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roediger
Australia
Nowra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Tim - will you be bringing along the game you took to the TAGE protospiel? I didn't get a chance to see it but heard it received considerable acclaim.

So what other games are on offer this time around?

I'll be bringing along two new microgames I've been developing for some BGG contests. Below are my WIP threads - to be updated in a day or so.

Musketeers: Search for the Queen's Gems - 4-8 player a hidden-role game

Bathysphere - a 3-8 player push your luck game set in the world of Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Hey Craig,

Sorry for the slow reply - I hadn't subscribed to the thread, but that's fixed now.

Yes, I hope to bring along the game I had at TAGE. I'm really hoping I'll have all the parts together for an improved prototype. It depends on if I get some cards back from the digital printer in time.

Also, Richard Vickery and I have also been working on a game together, and hope to have all the parts of the latest prototype ready for Aug 30 - waiting on a laser cutter for that one.

Always working right up to the deadline!

Even if I don't have anything ready, I'm looking forward to coming along and playing the master works of others!

Tim

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff Tim. After hearing the comments from the other protospielers at TAGE, I'd definitely love to give it a whirl.

Not sure where you get your cards printed, but I had a few sets produced for my Musketeers microgame recently by Printer's Studio. Absolutely gorgeous, great print quality with a nice linen feel, fast turn-around (10 days from order to delivery) and cheap - $7 for a 54 card custom deck with free worldwide shipping. They also do a nice range of card sizes and deck sizes. The interface is a little less intuitive than Artscow, but definitely worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roediger
Australia
Nowra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used artscow this time (ordered last Sunday, so I hope I'll get it by Friday next week). I tried to switch to drive thru cards, because they have a higher quality product at a great price. However, I lost too many hours stuffing around loading software, loading color prfiles, trying to get images into cmyk with the right ink density and the right pdf format - I just gave up and went with what I knew. Thanks for the Printer Studio tip. Might try them next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superdweebie wrote:
I used artscow this time (ordered last Sunday, so I hope I'll get it by Friday next week). I tried to switch to drive thru cards, because they have a higher quality product at a great price. However, I lost too many hours stuffing around loading software, loading color prfiles, trying to get images into cmyk with the right ink density and the right pdf format - I just gave up and went with what I knew. Thanks for the Printer Studio tip. Might try them next time.

I've used Artscow quite a bit in the past, but I find their print quality varies considerably and even though the interface works nicely, you never really know whether you've scaled the cards correctly.

I've had several batches scaled exactly the same and one batch returned with white borders and another oversized, cutting-off the graphics. I even had several cards completely mis-cut and their responsiveness was poor.

The Interface at Printer's Studio is similar to Artscow but you can't resize within the interface, they are a fixed format. But if you get the dimensions right (as per their guide) they turn-out perfectly and they are cheaper than Artscow. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality considering I use Inkscape to produce 400dpi .png files. Fingers crossed the second set is as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
Man I'd love to come the next one-- I'll be away unfortunately but this looks fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roediger
Australia
Nowra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilbert, how did the Unpub go last weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Filewood
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be there, and possibly square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Tim! Yeah it was really great. I got to Sydney 4pm the day before, played 5 games that night. Then the following morning we all turned up at the Criterion pub and played games pretty much non-stop from 11-6. So many games in 24 hours! But I didn't even play half of what was there. I really enjoyed playtesting and my new game got some good pointers for future modification...So a big success imo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! Sorry Jaimie and guys. I'm gonna have to pull out of the session tomorrow.

My wife has organised builders to come-in at late notice and I have a single weekend to move half a house full of furniture. I'd much rather be playing games. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roediger
Australia
Nowra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry Criag, I'm sure we'll still have a great day without you

My cards arrived, so I'll be there with Life and Everything. I'll also have another new one with the working title The Diamond Heist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a good day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Allen
Australia
Thornton
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
When's the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.