Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something isn't 100% clicking with me about the adjacency rules.

In the building example, you can build a room on space A. Okay, that makes sense as the room description on p4 said it must be adjacent to a service module and there is one underneath (also, other adjacency examples seem to include vertical adjacency). But then it says you can't move patients there yet because there's no service module on the same floor? Huh? Why is the same floor suddenly important here?

The first item of the movement rules says patients can be moved into service modules, operating rooms and extreme consultations rooms but doesn't mention anything about moving patients into regular rooms. Is that a typo and is the service module supposed to be a regular room there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First , this is the first version of the rules , so they still may have typos , thanks for your feed-backs

1) The building rules say : each floor of one building can only have ONE Service Module.
So if the player builds a room at A, there is no service at this floor.
Think like in the hospital and everything will be clear-
So this "A" room can not host any patients since the administration does not know which Kind of illness this room can treat.

2) correct Mark! Service Module has to be replaced by standard room of course
Service Module usually hosts extra doctors or extra nurses in the basic game when the player did not host enought patients or when the colors of the doctors and patients do not match
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:
1) The building rules say : each floor of one building can only have ONE Service Module.
So if the player builds a room at A, there is no service at this floor.
Think like in the hospital and everything will be clear-
So this "A" room can not host any patients since the administration does not know which Kind of illness this room can treat.

I see how that makes total sense on a thematic level. Does that mean mechanics-wise that there are two kinds of adjacency, normal adjacency which works in 6 directions (and applies for instance to connecting offices and rooms) and service adjacency which works in 4 directions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes correct Mark
I see how you interpret the rules.
I suggest replacing the
"Room must be adjacent to both a Service Module and an Office module in order to host patients" by
"Room must be adjacent to both a Service Module at the same floor and an Office module (which is not necessarily at the same floor) in order to host patients"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alban, it makes perfect sense to me now. Personally I would change the explanation of adjacency in the General section, that way it would also cover operating rooms. Also, it wasn't until I studied the examples that I became sure that adjacency worked vertically so stating it outright there might be useful. But I can see how people might forget that by the time they get to the building rules.

I'm looking forward to this game, looks like even more of a brainburner than City Center
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Room must be adjacent to a Service Module on the same floor, and to an Office Module (not necessarily on the same floor) in order to host patients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
A Room must be adjacent to a Service Module on the same floor, and to an Office Module (not necessarily on the same floor) in order to host patients.

Well...

To be active a room MUST be adjacent to both an office (not necessarily on the same floor) and a service module (on the same floor) so that player exactly know which illness the room may treat.-> logical.

But it is possible to have during the game inactive room since during the building phase, players are only allowed to build 2 tiles .

For example in turn 3, the player builds a room on a floor with no service, and one garden. He adds as a free action an office (always good to do except if the player do not have any more spaces or money to pay the floor).
Then this new room can not host patients. It is inactive and does not score any PP at the end of the game .
In turn 4 ( or in turn 3, if the player chooses again the building action), this player adds a new service (that has not been already built during this round...) on the same floor of the new room. This action makes this room active now ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it correct that the only adjacency rules that include multiple floors involve offices? Other than that does adjacent only care about the current floor?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The adjacency is in 6 directions
The office is not necessary built in the SAME floor of the room
The rules IN the now is more precise than the very first uploaded here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:

okay, so here is where I'm confused:

The building rules state:

- Modules of the same type can never be adjacent.
- A Service Module can never be built in the same position as the same type of Service Module on the floor below.

I don't understand the reason for the 2nd rule.

Can a Service Module be built in the same position as a different type of Service Module on the floor below?

(in which case it will be violating the modules of the same type adjacency rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
nabla wrote:

okay, so here is where I'm confused:

The building rules state:

- Modules of the same type can never be adjacent.
- A Service Module can never be built in the same position as the same type of Service Module on the floor below.

I don't understand the reason for the 2nd rule.

Can a Service Module be built in the same position as a different type of Service Module on the floor below?

(in which case it will be violating the modules of the same type adjacency rules.)

Any clarification on the intent here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No copycat
if you allow to build room upon room, office upon office and service upon service, your hospital would become to easy to build. You have to mix the colors on each floor (Rooms/Offices/Services).
Do not look after the theme too much, it is an abstract game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:
No copycat
if you allow to build room upon room, office upon office and service upon service, your hospital would become to easy to build. You have to mix the colors on each floor

But can you build different types of service on top of each other? (I noticed that you said mix the colors, and they each have different colors)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
no when I say mix the colors, I am talking about Rooms/Services/Offices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:
no when I say mix the colors, I am talking about Rooms/Services/Offices

sounds good. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so this is (again) for checking that I got it right.

Lets say we have built:

Office
Room 2 / Service
Service / Room 1 / Office

This means that both Rooms are active.
However this also means that Room 1 can ONLY cater to the Service on the Ground Floor, and Room 2 can ONLY cater to the Service on the Second Floor...

Also, I read that, once you built a Room, if it is not adjacent to an Office, you HAVE to build an Office. That much is clear. But do you have to build the Office first? Or do you HAVE to build the Room first? Or can you choose?
This could be important, because it could mean placing an Office on top of a Room that wasn't adjacent to an Office before is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Okay, so this is (again) for checking that I got it right.

Lets say we have built:

Office
Room 2 / Service
Service / Room 1 / Office

This means that both Rooms are active.
However this also means that Room 1 can ONLY cater to the Service on the Ground Floor, and Room 2 can ONLY cater to the Service on the Second Floor...

Also, I read that, once you built a Room, if it is not adjacent to an Office, you HAVE to build an Office. That much is clear. But do you have to build the Office first? Or do you HAVE to build the Room first? Or can you choose?
This could be important, because it could mean placing an Office on top of a Room that wasn't adjacent to an Office before is legal.

If your action is to build a room, you can build the office afterwards (and must if the room isnt adjacent to an office). If you use an action to build an office, you can build a room later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up:
Is this also true for Operating Room and Extreme Consultation? IIRC, they need to be adjacent to an Office, too. So do you get a "free" Office built if you build one of them, too? Thematically, it would make sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Follow-up:
Is this also true for Operating Room and Extreme Consultation? IIRC, they need to be adjacent to an Office, too. So do you get a "free" Office built if you build one of them, too? Thematically, it would make sense...

No these tiles are not rooms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, just to get this completely:
Operating Room and Consultation Room NEED to be adjacent to an Office in order to work, but if no office is adjacent, they do NOT come with the option of a free "build an office" action...

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Operating Room and Consultation Room NEED to be adjacent to an Office in order to work, but if no office is adjacent, they do NOT come with the option of a free "build an office" action...

Correct?

They don't need an office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.
Yeah, I just realized.
Thank you for clarification...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Dumon wrote:

Correct?

They don't need an office.

An O.R. is looking pretty good at the moment since it doesn't need an Office or a Room, the only stipulation being that it be adjacent to a Service module on the same floor.

If we played correctly tonight, this works out great for a second building - build a Service module and an O.R. next to each other as the 2 components for a Build Action, and you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes O.R does not need an office, only the normal rooms .
The Specialized Modules break the rules .
I am glad you are discovering interest in All of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:
Yes O.R does not need an office, only the normal rooms .

Alban, not sure what you mean here by "normal rooms" - an Operating Room only needs a Service module adjacent/same floor to function, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.