King of New York» Forums » General

Subject: KoNY Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew
United States
NWI, IN
flag msg tools
I think they really dropped the ball on the characters. Yes I'm nit picking and resorting to the kid in me in wanting to see and be "cool" monsters. What adult wants to be a sheriff t rex? Or the fish captain. Hollywood Kong is decent. I get it. Whoever created Alienoid I feel like has creative control over the NY monsters. Lol. I've only seen 3. I'm hoping they get better. Meka, Kracken, Cyber Bunny, and Giga blow these way. Not really hating. I can't wait to play. Just more like something to talk about while I wait to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually excited about the monsters in this set, but I will admit that the names of the monsters aren't great. Sheriff and Captain Fish were pretty disappointing names, but I do like their looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Captain Fish. It's my favourite monster so far without a question. It looks like a playful behemoth, and the fish-scuba suit fit pretty well. The T-Rex is... ok, although the "Sheriff" theme doesn't really fit the dinosaur in my mind, to be honest. The Holliwood giant ape just feels extremelly silly in my mind.

So I guess my opinion is exactly the oposite to yours regarding the known monsters, but neither of us is totally pleased with them. I guess they can't please everybody. Luckily, we won't have to fight for the same cardboard cutout, since we will have different favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I totally agree. I loved the monsters from KoT (even Alienoid), and I'm disappointed by the ones I've seen so far in KoNY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It all started with a giant panda... and it went downhill from there. I'm also unhappy about the creative direction this game took with expansions and now this new game.

I like the fish dude though as something crazy but the sheriff T-Rex whose hands can't even reach the pistol... it looks silly and it is silly, some may say that it's for kids but even still I don't want my kids to become silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who bad mouths Captain Fish will feel his wrath!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I like them all look wise, its fun, wacky, and zany just like the game is supposed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've already used the archetypes for Tokyo so it's bound to be a little harder to come up with a neat set for New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
NWI, IN
flag msg tools
Considering the location being the United States for this game what monsters would you have liked to see?

The first one is an obvious choice of a humongous Bigfoot. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the monster. Just that it would seem to make sense that, he's kind of an American monster. Lose the sheriff theme to the T Rex and he could have been the coolest for sure. Umm but if I had a say I would like to see . . . Hmm. Didn't actually think about my answer. More curious what everyone else would say. It appears I'm no better than their creative design team. Lol. Although I always thought most of not all of the game card illustrations are done really well. I have a corny idea of a giant "biker" eagle. Tattoos, scars, etc. I could see myself being that monster. Lol.

I thought the Panda was beast. I liked him along with the Halloween monsters. I think it's Boogie Woogie I liked more than the pumpkin king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
NWI, IN
flag msg tools
Hockey Mask wrote:
Anyone who bad mouths Captain Fish will feel his wrath!

Lol. I'm sold. After further review. But yes the sheriff theme has got to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mind Panda and the Hallowe'en monsters, I guess because the basic monster archetypes had already been covered. And for that reason it doesn't bother me too much that the ones from KoNY are silly. However, if I didn't already own KoT, it would probably bother me more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoot is a good idea. Maybe a giant alligator? An Area 51 alien? Sharknado? A giant Mount Rushmore stone golem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A giant marshmallow man.

A robotic Uncle Sam.

Chupacabra Prime.

A Chimera...bull/eagle/rattlesnake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
They've already used the archetypes for Tokyo so it's bound to be a little harder to come up with a neat set for New York.

A Giant Ant monster.

Kong was in Tokyo so why not more Godzilla monsters in New York? A Hydra would be an easy one to give special powers to.

Also we didn't get any birdies, Mothra might be a little camp but you get the idea, any flying Monster would do instead of Cowboy T-Rex. Not fond of the Neon-Techno Disco-Albino-Gorilla either.

Bigfoot would be great for New York.

And do you remember the beetle monster from the King of Monsters videogame? AWESOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of great concepts that were used in Godzilla type films that you could use in KoNY.

Beetle.
Bird.
Son of Gigazaur.
Spider.
Ant.
Turtle.
Moth.
Radioactive waste monster.
Giant human.
Demon.

All those concepts are tested and proven and would be awesome in a game. Nor do they need to wear a cowboy hat to be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they shy away from flying monsters because it doesn't make sense with many of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I think they shy away from flying monsters because it doesn't make sense with many of the cards.

I suppose they could make flightless monsters like a moth monster with little dinky wings that cant fly. That way it can fit mechanically and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

I suppose they could make flightless monsters like a moth monster with little dinky wings that cant fly. That way it can fit mechanically and thematically.
They could, but it wouldn't be that great.

At the end of the day, I think I can see why they chose these "silly" monsters. You guys came up with some good ideas, but are there six really solid ones there? Also, the monsters need to have a strong identity. A tyrannosaurus without a cowboy hat is not much different from gigasaur.

I do hope there's a wolf, though, to round out the monsters from the old video game Rampage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'm thinking there may be a lot more to the theme of the monsters than meets the eye, and that iello are trying to add a bit more depth to them.

"Fame" is going to play part of the mechanic and I wonder if they're combining classic stereotypes of famous characters/actors/singers with the giant monsters.

So we don't just get a T-Rex storming around America, but he's also a typical Hollywood cowboy. There's a movie, "Valley of Gwangi", where cowboys capture a T-Rex, so there's possibly a link there? Jurassic Park 2 has the T-Rex stomping around San Diego too.

Captain Fish is a stereotype of a sea captain. He's got the hat and the pipe. And the scar is maybe a nod to Quint, the Captain in Jaws (remember the scene when they're showing off scars?), and Jaws is essentially a monster movie.

And I figure Kong is meant to be a representation of Elvis. He's white because the icon of Elvis is in a white jumpsuit. And obviously he's a version of 'King' Kong and Elvis was The 'King'. (They already used King in Tokyo, so were a little limited here I guess).

This is all a complete guess of course, I may be reading too much into it. It will be interesting to see the other monsters and if they have iconic fame links. It would be super cool to chat with the people that design the monsters and see where they draw inspiration from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Batesmates wrote:
I'm thinking there may be a lot more to the theme of the monsters than meets the eye, and that iello are trying to add a bit more depth to them.

"Fame" is going to play part of the mechanic and I wonder if they're combining classic stereotypes of famous characters/actors/singers with the giant monsters.

So we don't just get a T-Rex storming around America, but he's also a typical Hollywood cowboy. There's a movie, "Valley of Gwangi", where cowboys capture a T-Rex, so there's possibly a link there? Jurassic Park 2 has the T-Rex stomping around San Diego too.

Captain Fish is a stereotype of a sea captain. He's got the hat and the pipe. And the scar is maybe a nod to Quint, the Captain in Jaws (remember the scene when they're showing off scars?), and Jaws is essentially a monster movie.

And I figure Kong is meant to be a representation of Elvis. He's white because the icon of Elvis is in a white jumpsuit. And obviously he's a version of 'King' Kong and Elvis was The 'King'. (They already used King in Tokyo, so were a little limited here I guess).

This is all a complete guess of course, I may be reading too much into it. It will be interesting to see the other monsters and if they have iconic fame links. It would be super cool to chat with the people that design the monsters and see where they draw inspiration from.

My brain never conceived any of this. I see it now as possible and reasonable but it only seems sillier than before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
The sheriff is my favorite so far. Just think of the puns for the eventual evolutions... OK, "Short Arm of the Law" is really all I've got, but it's enough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also known as
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Fish is okay, but I'm not crazy about the other two we've seen thus far. I'm tempted to get Alpha Zombie and Space Penguin for KoNY, but they're too bloody expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Captain Fish is awesome.

I don't get all the T-Rex hate though. T-Rexes are always awesome, and cosplaying T-Rexes doubly so.

Kong is the one who I feel is weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Wiklund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty positive "The Sheriff" is a riff on the terrible American Godzilla movie of the late 90s, where we got a t-rex instead of, well, 'Zilla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
SinisterSamurai wrote:
The sheriff is my favorite so far. Just think of the puns for the eventual evolutions... OK, "Short Arm of the Law" is really all I've got, but it's enough...

Jurassic Parking Ticket. It can be a gift evo that discourages remaining in one district for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.