Hide
4 Posts

Castaways» Forums » Rules

Subject: One Big Effort / Injuries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan harrington
msg tools
I'm confused with a situation that comes up in a couple of different ways. For example, what happens when you take the "One Big Effort" card, but you are already at full energy? You take the three extra white cubes and an injury. Does this mean in order to make space for the white cube on your energy track, you need to lose one energy? This would effectively mean that taking the card only gives you a net energy gain of 2, because you had to lose one to take the injury. Or, would you be able to wait until later in your turn after you have expended your three extra white cubes and some energy off your track, and then add the injury into the empty top spot of your track?

I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere in the rules. It can come up at other times, such as when starting an exploration with full energy, but then drawing a card that gives you an injury. Seems like an extra hit to your health if you are at full energy and need to make room for it, as compared to simply placing a white cube at the top of your track if you already have space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

I would say that the player takes the injury straight away and thus loses his top-most energy if he is at full energy. Similarly to if you are out exploring and are forced to take an injury (which will go on your highest un-injured spot on the energy track, even if it currently has an energy marker on it - I believe this is stated in the rules somewhere)

Just my interpretation from playing the game a bunch of times - feels like the correct way to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Ball
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thescurve wrote:
Or, would you be able to wait until later in your turn after you have expended your three extra white cubes and some energy off your track, and then add the injury into the empty top spot of your track?

This is how I would play it. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to give you 3 extra health, only to really give you 2 additional health. I interpret it as you do all of the extra effort work, but get injured in the process. You expend the extra 3 energy but take an injury afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Hi Ryan,

I would say that the player takes the injury straight away and thus loses his top-most energy if he is at full energy. Similarly to if you are out exploring and are forced to take an injury (which will go on your highest un-injured spot on the energy track, even if it currently has an energy marker on it - I believe this is stated in the rules somewhere)

Just my interpretation from playing the game a bunch of times - feels like the correct way to play!

Yes, this is correct. The game designer has confirmed this to me in an Spanish forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.