Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, which was a lot of fun. Two women sat down next to me and from the moment their asses hit the seats, without them doing anything yet, I knew, knew, they were going to talk throughout the movie. And sure enough, they did.

I don't see many movies in the theater because (a) I don't see many movies, period, and (b) nobody seems to know how to sit down, shut up, and just watch a movie anymore. I'd rather watch at home. And this isn't something related to "kids these days"; I've been around people of all ages who yap through the movie.*

When I bring this up, people are always, "I HATE that" but come on. The number of people I've seen who talk throughout movies is huge. Some of you have got to be movie talkers. So I want to know: what's your side of it? Do you not think you can possibly be annoying anyone? Do you not care? Do you figure you've also spent your money, so you can enjoy the movie however you please? I really want to know; I'm genuinely curious.

----
* as well as folks who go to a symphony and hum through the piece, like that was missing from the arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who talk through movies should be thrown out, no refunds. People who use phones should be perma-banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not afraid to tell people to shut up. I enjoyed the movie "God Bless America" more than I should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will sometimes try and talk to her friend during movies, I generally will shush her if she attempts it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some talking during a movie is appropriate, as it's the equivalent of laughing at a funny part of the movie or shrieking at a scary part, but these should just be short sentences or sentence fragments like "Wow!" or "That was cool!" or "Oh yeah!" or "(expletive)!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally murmur, "That was cool!" or something similarly lengthy during a movie, but if it's actually meant to be heard by someone, my mouth is really close to their ear.

I was just at a concert on the lawn* and a couple women behind me were talking over the music as if they were just sitting around at Starbucks. A couple dirty looks from me didn't do anything, but about the third song of the conversation a guy with them told them to shut up and they quieted to a dull murmur.

* open seating at an outdoor amphitheater on a grass covered bowl behind the covered seating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst anecdote I can retell is from attending a public animal education program at a local library. A nearby nature center sent out a staff member [my wife] with several birds of prey (hawks, owls, etc.) to do a show & tell 1-hour program on. Lots of parents brought their kids, because even though you can't touch, you do get to see them a lot closer than at a zoo, plus you can ask questions, and she did bring with a few touchable items like a feather, a claw, and a skull.

I went to watch and stood in the back of the room, which was standing room only, deferring seats to mothers with small children mostly (a few rare fathers were there). Along the back wall, on the floor, sit two adult women, no kids (many kids had opted to sit on the floor in front of the first row of chairs). They spent almost the entire presentation chatting to each other, at least somewhat hushed but by no means a whisper, despite repeated calls from the presenter to please be quiet (good luck in a room full of kids) because loud noise stresses out the birds (this was evidenced several times as the birds tried to fly off despite being tethered to a falconer's glove).

This wouldn't have been so bad, just a couple of inconsiderate adults, not that unusual, except that I saw one of them grading papers. Seriously, would you let kids sit in the back of your classroom and chat and ignore you? Unbelievable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't gone to a movie theatre in years because of these problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Movie talkers are the reason I refuse to go to the cinema at any time other than weekday mornings. Fortunately my job allows for it and I feel genuine sympathy for anyone who has no option other than to go during evenings or weekends.

At the time I go, there's usually only a couple of other small groups there (usually couples) but often there's nobody which is great. There's definitely no kids or teenagers there (often the worst movie talkers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, someone reading this is a movie talker. I really want to hear from you. By geekmail if you want, and your privacy will be protected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to an outdoor movie recently (the local park does the movies in the park thing, with the inflatable screen) and this is always something I see as pretty much unavoidable there - generally they show kids movies, and there are a lot of kids with lots of energy in their system in the audience, so I try to be patient.

Last time, though, we were sitting next to five or six teenagers, who were pretty much sitting in a circle and socializing the whole movie. They pretty much ignored everyone else around them.

This annoyed me lots - I mean, heck, you're outside, if ya wanna be cool teenagers and ignore the movie, go hang out somewhere NOT in the middle of the crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
The Alamo Drafthouse would kick out Hitler and not give him a refund if he talked in the theater.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another pet peeve of mine is people that can't sit still at movies, concerts, etc.

Really, you can't stay in your seat for the whole performance? I can almost understand it on two hour plus movies, but for a half hour band concert? Really, you have to get up and sidle along the seats in front of people to get to the aisle, then walk out? At least grab an aisle seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The Alamo Drafthouse would kick out Hitler and not give him a refund if he talked in the theater.

Sure, the Alamo Drafthouse is famous for that, but every time I am at the Drafthouse, someone will talk during the movie. And I don't mean the wait people asking questions. So they need to work on their reputation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We have a local theater that replays classics where it is actively encouranged for the audience to talk to the screen - stuff like The Big Lewbowski, Aliens, Goonies, The Godfather, Big Trouble In Little China, Wrath of Khan, etc are just better with everyone chanting the lines aloud together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
We have a local theater that replays classics where it is actively encouranged for the audience to talk to the screen - stuff like The Big Lewbowski, Aliens, Goonies, The Godfather, Big Trouble In Little China, Wrath of Khan, etc are just better with everyone chanting the lines aloud together.

Jesus, I would rather hit my foot with a hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be a few different things mentioned here:

1) Talking TO or interacting WITH the movie. This may or may not be OK.
2) Just generally talking or having an independent conversation during the entertainment. This seems frowned upon in most instances
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
There seem to be a few different things mentioned here:

1) Talking TO or interacting WITH the movie. This may or may not be OK.
2) Just generally talking or having an independent conversation during the entertainment. This seems frowned upon in most instances

That's a good interpretation; very limited and very quiet sotto voce versions of #1 are OK.

Equally or perhaps even MORE annoying are people looking at their god-damn phones during movies. Not a quick glance - got the phone out (they are surprisingly bright in a dark theater) the entire damn time.

I recently went to a concert and was struck at the relative lack of clapping. It's hard to clap when you're holding your god-damn phone the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Went and saw Spamalot at the theater a few weeks back. During act II the woman 2 seats to my left kept checking her phone for e-mails every 5 minutes. Of course she's trying to do it discretely but is simply pointing the phone in my direction and thus in the dark theater shining her cell phone screen in my eyes.

My wife won't go see movies in the theater anymore. That's how much she's had enough of people talking and being generally obnoxious. I myself am also tiring of people talking and see only the occasional film going with a friend or sometimes alone on a weekday when the theater is least crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
...Rocky Horror Picture Show. In the late seventies my then girlfriend loved to go to the midnight showing of RHPS and join in the audience partici...(wait for it)...pation. Of course there was a distinct odor of something being smoked throughout the film
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Equally or perhaps even MORE annoying are people looking at their god-damn phones during movies. Not a quick glance - got the phone out (they are surprisingly bright in a dark theater) the entire damn time. I recently went to a concert and was struck at the relative lack of clapping. It's hard to clap when you're holding your god-damn phone the whole time.

Worse, they're holding the damned thing up in my line of sight to shakily film the concert with crappy sound. These days an event never happened unless you have evidence of it to post on a social networking site. Fully experiencing an event as it happens, remembering, and then talking about it afterwards is so 20th Century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Equally or perhaps even MORE annoying are people looking at their god-damn phones during movies. Not a quick glance - got the phone out (they are surprisingly bright in a dark theater) the entire damn time. I recently went to a concert and was struck at the relative lack of clapping. It's hard to clap when you're holding your god-damn phone the whole time.

Worse, they're holding the damned thing up in my line of sight to shakily film the concert with crappy sound. These days an event never happened unless you have images or video evidence of it to post on a social networking site. Fully experiencing an event as it happens, remembering, and then talking about it afterwards is so 20th Century.

Jack White has had an occasional rant about audience members staring at screens instead of WATCHING THE STAGE and LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. They should just stay the hell home and watch youtube vids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S

Nebraska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason everyone you talk to will be on your side is because we all rationalize when we do things wrong, and villainize what others do wrong. Like driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I abide by the Wittertainment Code of Conduct:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/at-the-movies/a288795/the-w...

You should to. And hello to Jason Issacs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Andy Parsons wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Worse, they're holding the damned thing up in my line of sight to shakily film the concert with crappy sound. These days an event never happened unless you have images or video evidence of it to post on a social networking site. Fully experiencing an event as it happens, remembering, and then talking about it afterwards is so 20th Century.

Jack White has had an occasional rant about audience members staring at screens instead of WATCHING THE STAGE and LISTENING TO THE MUSIC. They should just stay the hell home and watch youtube vids.

It's probably because they're usually so damn boring or put another way, these are probably people who don't necessarily enjoy concerts but went with their friends or something. I don't bother going to ANY concerts - I'm not into music enough to stand around for 3 hours being bored and sucking in second-hand marijuana smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.